Silicone Disaster, Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I used a silicone that I didn't realize had a mildew fighter on it because it said 100% silicone and at the time I didn't even know they made a product like that... Totally oblivious, I build my bubble trap with a tube of this stuff and have been running water (cycling now) for almost a week with it in there. What to do? Im pretty freaked out!

Also since im doing this now, is there anything I should have considered with my PVC cement? I just used run of the mill "Medium, Clear" PVC cement.

if there are no fish in the tank since it's cycling, you should be able to recover just fine. i would suggest rebuilding the bubble trap out of an additive-free silicone. make sure that it doesn't say anything about kitchen or bathroom because all of those have chemicals that retard mold and mildew grow. change as much water out as possible every couple of days to make sure those chemicals that have leached from the silicone into the water are negligable. when you buy the next tube of silicone, let us know what it is just to make certain this does not happen again. i've done quite a bit of aquarium work with silicone and have not had a single problem (plenty of messes though!)

i'm not too sure about PVC cement, although i would assume that it is a similar compound to the acrylic cement. acrylic cement is a solvent that melts the plastic together on a molecular level, then evaporates. i'm not an expert with pvc, so you should probably get more opinions on this. i've heard that using pvc cement wasn't necessary for certain aquarium projects, but i don't know what you're application will be.

does anybody know if the black pvc is ok for aquarium use?

if you're using the pvc cement used to glue the schedule 40 and scedule 80 pvc pipe together.. comes in a metal can usually... I beleive the brand is oatey or something.... could be others too I guess... but if you look at the back of the can there will be some information about using it in "potable water supply"... if it says that then you're using the right can of PVC cement... if it doesnt you picked up the wrong one... there isnt any sort of "anti-mildew" additives in it but it's more a matter of other chemicals in it that could break down during exposure to some of the stuff we put in our tanks etc...

colors of pvc pipe doesnt really matter... nor does the color of the glues used... but you have to be sure it's for drinking water use for the glue... not the ones that can only be used for things like sewer and stuff....

that whole 100% silicone (with mildew fighter) thing is kinda funny... shouldnt it be 99.999999% silicone 0.000001% mildew fighter? I guess it's kinda along the lines of the Smuckers 100% fruit spread thing because some "weird people" dont think "Fruit Pectin" counts as fruit.... so they shoulda done the 99.99999% fruit...

(there was a news story where some "consumer advocate with a sensitive sense of taste thought her fruit spread didnt taste 100% fruit..." so they sued Smuckers because it says things like various fruit juices.... fruit pectin.... etc... all derived from fruit ingredients... so her beef is that it isnt 100% fruit of what she's probably looking at the label where it says Strawberry or something and it's got pear juice and some grape or something in it as well as the strawberry? Plus that "fruit pectin thing" which... is a fruit thing too.... *Shrug* just a california thing I guess.... oh well..)

ANYWAY.. the silicone thing is unfortunate and I believe it would be advisable to either disassemble and scrape off the old silicone and redo it with non-additive silicone... or build a whole new one. PVC.. look at the label for "usable in potable water" or something like that"

Sweet, at least that worked out, im using oatey "for potable" water cement... anyhow I just got back from LFS with new tank and silicone. Can anyone tell me how long I should let it cure? It says 48 hours before adding water. Also says that 7 days is maximum strength. Anyone have any suggestions? this is only for a bubble trap.

Okay, the new sump is finished, the silicone is dry. I have done around a 90% water change on the system. Here we go again!

Thanks for all your input and helping me through this problem.

Back
Top Bottom