silicone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this the correct silicone to use for glass on glass baffles in sump? or is this marineland silicone any better? I will be ordering my new skimmer next week and I am going to build a refugium in my sump and have baffles to keep the skimmer in the proper amount of water.

bavass said:
Is this the correct silicone to use for glass on glass baffles in sump? or is this marineland silicone any better? I will be ordering my new skimmer next week and I am going to build a refugium in my sump and have baffles to keep the skimmer in the proper amount of water.

Yes you can use the GE Silicone 1 Clear from HD

Yes you can use the GE Silicone 1 Clear from HD

Be careful, I checked out that link and in the specs for that brand it states it is mold and mildew resistant....Which would mean some type of anti bacterial agent in it. This I don't think well be helpful in a tank that is looking to grow Beneficial bacteria....

gvillenative said:
The one from HD will work in a reef tank? I have had this same question

Yes it will work, many people use it including myself

Be careful, I checked out that link and in the specs for that brand it states it is mold and mildew resistant....Which would mean some type of anti bacterial agent in it. This I don't think well be helpful in a tank that is looking to grow Beneficial bacteria....

Again, you do need to check the specs - don't assume just because it is GE type 1 or type 2. Both come with or without mold and mildew resistant materials added. What you want is the 100% silicone.

Wy Renegade said:
Again, you do need to check the specs - don't assume just because it is GE type 1 or type 2. Both come with or without mold and mildew resistant materials added. What you want is the 100% silicone.

GE 1 clear is 100% silicone

GE 1 clear is 100% silicone

Not always it isn't - make sure you're checking the labels. Both type I and type II can be 100% silicone or can have mold and mildew resistance added - I've seen both both ways.

Thats part of why people are always arguing about which one is safe to use and which one isn't.

Wy Renegade said:
Not always it isn't - make sure you're checking the labels. Both type I and type II can be 100% silicone or can have mold and mildew resistance added - I've seen both both ways.

Thats part of why people are always arguing about which one is safe to use and which one isn't.

Remember there's clear and white, you're talking about GE1 white which you shouldn't use.

People always argue which 1 is safe because none of them have aquarium safe label on it.

Remember there's clear and white, you're talking about GE1 white which you shouldn't use.

People always argue which 1 is safe because none of them have aquarium safe label on it.

Thank you for the attempted correction, but no I'm not. I currently have tubes of GE Type I; clear, white, and black sitting on my shelf. All three are 100% silicone, none of them of the say anything about mold or mildew resistance on them, and all of them are aquarium safe. I also have two tube of GE Type II; Clear and Black, sitting here, both are 100% silicone, neither says anything about mold or mildew resistance, and both are aquarium safe. You are correct in that none of them have an aquarium safe label on them, in fact if you look, all of them say specifically "not recommended for use in aquariums". This is a standard disclaimer put on them by the company, that way, if something goes bad, you can blame them - they warned you not to use it in your aquarium. Remember when using silicone to allow the silicone to set for 48 hours prior to putting it into use, otherwise it is not completely cured and therefore is capable of leaking harmful chemicals.

Last edited:
From what i have read the disclaimer is on there because AGA was in talks for a contract with GE to use there silicone but it wouldn't hold on larger tanks and to cover there buts they have added not aquarium safe. Thanks for all the input on the silicone

Call GE. they will tell you for sure which one to use. They do not have to list that they use mold and mildew resistant chemicals in their 100% silicone caulk, and in many cases, they do.

Wy Renegade said:
Thank you for the attempted correction, but no I'm not. I currently have tubes of GE Type I; clear, white, and black sitting on my shelf. All three are 100% silicone, none of them of the say anything about mold or mildew resistance on them, and all of them are aquarium safe. I also have two tube of GE Type II; Clear and Black, sitting here, both are 100% silicone, neither says anything about mold or mildew resistance, and both are aquarium safe. You are correct in that none of them have an aquarium safe label on them, in fact if you look, all of them say specifically "not recommended for use in aquariums". This is a standard disclaimer put on them by the company, that way, if something goes bad, you can blame them - they warned you not to use it in your aquarium. Remember when using silicone to allow the silicone to set for 48 hours prior to putting it into use, otherwise it is not completely cured and therefore is capable of leaking harmful chemicals.

I just had an emergency fix. The silicone seal, holding my pump to my DIY filter's screw cap, came apart while I was cleaning it. I didn't have a backup filter so I re-applied the silicone, allowed 15 minutes curing and put it into my tank. The tank is full of juvie and fry cyps and Neolamprologus Leleupi. No harm so far. Almost 25 hours later they're still behaving normally and looking healthy. I was worried but but now I doubt that acetic acid is very harmful to fish.

From what i have read the disclaimer is on there because AGA was in talks for a contract with GE to use there silicone but it wouldn't hold on larger tanks and to cover there buts they have added not aquarium safe. Thanks for all the input on the silicone

I don't know how much of this is true, but Silicone I holds some rather large tanks together. However, GE series 1200 silicone is much stronger and would be more likely to be used by an aquarium manufacturing company. It tends to cost a little more and is harder to find, generally only being sold by the case.

Back
Top Bottom