Silk Craft-Store Leaves in Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ekiel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have 5 kuhli loaches, and was planning on adding 2 dwarf puffers to the tank. The research I've done on mixing the two species notes that they may do fine together, as the loaches tend to keep to themselves and are fast enough to avoid the puffers' wrath if they turn nippy. In the interest of keeping my loaches as secure as possible, I want to add leaf litter to the bottom of the tank to give them more bolt-holes. However, given the lack of dead leaves in this time of year and the fact that I'm not sure I want to deal with real leaves wreaking havoc with the PH, I was wondering if I could instead use the silk autumn leaves that are sold in craft stores. As there are many different types of silk aquatic plants, I don't think that it would be much of an issue, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there. Obviously, I would make sure that they were simply dyed silk and not the crinkly glazed kind.

Does anybody have any experience or advice about this (aka how to double check the safety of the leaves, how to prepare them for aquarium use, why this may or may not be a stupid idea, etc.)?

For the sake of understanding, these are what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your help!

Don't do it!! You have no idea what chemicals were used to color and stiffen the silk.
Use live plants, plastic plants, natural looking ornaments, or stones to make bolt holes.

Do you have sand or fine gravel- or is it chunky gravel? If its fine they'll burrow, but my kuhlis love to hide in plants (esp java fern) and under driftwood and rock piles. I find if there are few such refuges spaced across the substrate they will be more adventurous because they feel safer.
I wouldn't risk the craft store silk leaves- I know that a lot of the silk plants made for terrariums are NOT aquarium safe. Besides- surely it would hinder cleaning? All the poop would collect under the leaves surely?

Back
Top Bottom