Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow...I use this and you all have confused me.....In order to accomplish what you are talking about you will have to use an overflow. A closed loop is just that it is a closed system water is simply circulated out and right back into the tank it is not exposed to the air. A simple overflow box w/utube(s) some plumbing a tank, a pump some more plumbing and you will get what you are looking for.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A simple overflow box w/utube(s) some plumbing a tank, a pump some more plumbing and you will get what you are looking for.
That was pretty much the first line of my initial post on this thread

I am only saying they are not foolproof here for two reasons:

1) This is a DIY forum, not the equipment forum, so I am assuming this is going to be a DIY overflow and

2) The poster seems very unfamiliar with this setup, I was just informing him/her that it surely possible to have success, but to beware the pitfalls a DIY overflow system can have to a person who is not aware of the difference between a closed-loop, and an overflow/sump system.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with you ...wasn't really referring to your post either...there were a few here that had me shaking my head in confusion....
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
All I can say is the closest you are going to get to a fully closed system is with a Canister filter and an inline heater. If all you need to replace is HOB filters and the internal heater, this is your solution. But if this is a SW tank with a protien skimmer, then this may not work. But it will get rid of the heater and HOB, and all that's visible is the protien skimmer.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ad hoc sump

If you dont want to drill your tank you will definately need the siphon overflow/prefilter but if your sump is not big enough and your tank is topped of it can overflow the sump. The solution to this is a 1 way valve/shut off you incoportae into the plumbing. The ones I have seen are ping pong balls that when the water rises the ping pong balls blocks the flow.

If you go with your ides to have 2 pumps (1in/1out) both of those will create a siphon effect when the power goes out and you will have a flood.

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com