Simple diy closed loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to setup a simple closed loop so that i can get rid of my HOB 's. I would like to get my water running from my glass aqaurium into a "sump" where i can put my HOB equipment. I would like a plan for a simple closed loop that can achieve this. I have a 50 gallon tank. I am also not certain how large a "sump" i should use for this type of aquarium.

What type of aquarium? More details will help us.

But...a closed loop will not achieve what you are looking for. You want an open ended system with an overflow and a return. Closed loops like this one are used to remove power heads from undrilled systems while still providing flow, and sometimes incorporate a wave maker.

I agree with Marc. A closed loop is supposed to drain water from a tank into a pump and back up into the tank. Bringing it into the sump is not a true closed loop. It sounds like you into on adding a sump to your system in order to house your equipment. To do this you would need to install an overflow to drain the water into the tank and a return line back up into the tank. If you provide more details of what you're looking to accomplish then maybe we can better help.

chase33 said:
I agree with Marc. A closed loop is supposed to drain water from a tank into a pump and back up into the tank. Bringing it into the sump is not a true closed loop. It sounds like you into on adding a sump to your system in order to house your equipment. To do this you would need to install an overflow to drain the water into the tank and a return line back up into the tank. If you provide more details of what you're looking to accomplish then maybe we can better help.

What you just stated is exactly what I want to do. I want to house my protein skimmer and my hob filter. How can I accomplish draining my tank without drilling a hole into it. Please dont forget I need a simple setup since I am new to this.

You are going to have to use an siphon overflow with a "U" tube to get the water out of the tank, and they are not the greatest design. Many people have used them with fantastic results, but others have come home to see 70 gallons of water on their floor and an empty tank due to the nature of this design.

Well to avoid that what i plan is to have 2 internal pumps in the "sump", one will pull water from the tank and the other will pump water into the tank. If the electricity should go off then both should fail.

pinda said:
Well to avoid that what i plan is to have 2 internal pumps in the "sump", one will pull water from the tank and the other will pump water into the tank. If the electricity should go off then both should fail.

There is no way that will work. You cannot guarantee that the pumps will function at the same GPM and either the sump or the tank will overflow. The reason it will not work even with identical pumps is that not two pumps are identical, just close enough to normally not matter. On top of that, all pumps are rated for a GPM at a certain TDH, which is the height the water needs to be lifted. A drain is needed, sized so it can drain as fast as the pump returning water from the sump can pump it.

You are going to have to use an siphon overflow with a "U" tube to get the water out of the tank, and they are not the greatest design. Many people have used them with fantastic results, but others have come home to see 70 gallons of water on their floor and an empty tank due to the nature of this design.

I pulled this from another site...I use it on my 55 with an 18 gal sump filter...I tested it for a falure and the siphon restarts every time
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15733

I don't understand how a correctly setup siphon overflow could ever result in water ending up on the floor. The whole idea is that its an "overflow" so if the water in the tank gets too high, it will overflow into the stand pipe and go to the sump. The siphon just carries waterfrom the tank to the container with the standpipe, (or i've seen different pvc joint setups that accomplish the same thing). The only danger that could result in water on the floor would be if the pumps carrying water to the tank shut off and the return line then became a siphon, but that is easily taken care of with a check valve or even just a hole drilled in the return just below the waterline in the tank.

I don't understand how a correctly setup siphon overflow could ever result in water ending up on the floor.

My point was not all of them are correctly set up. If you don't have the things like the siphon break holes and stuff, they can fail. Read about problems and things here at wetwebmedia:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/thrhullrat.htm

Redswi, that one is a good design, what I was talking about was poor designs that encounter problems. Sorry guys, I should elaborate more!

Wow...I use this and you all have confused me.....In order to accomplish what you are talking about you will have to use an overflow. A closed loop is just that it is a closed system water is simply circulated out and right back into the tank it is not exposed to the air. A simple overflow box w/utube(s) some plumbing a tank, a pump some more plumbing and you will get what you are looking for.

A simple overflow box w/utube(s) some plumbing a tank, a pump some more plumbing and you will get what you are looking for.

That was pretty much the first line of my initial post on this thread :D

I am only saying they are not foolproof here for two reasons:

1) This is a DIY forum, not the equipment forum, so I am assuming this is going to be a DIY overflow and

2) The poster seems very unfamiliar with this setup, I was just informing him/her that it surely possible to have success, but to beware the pitfalls a DIY overflow system can have to a person who is not aware of the difference between a closed-loop, and an overflow/sump system. :wink:

I agree with you ...wasn't really referring to your post either...there were a few here that had me shaking my head in confusion....

All I can say is the closest you are going to get to a fully closed system is with a Canister filter and an inline heater. If all you need to replace is HOB filters and the internal heater, this is your solution. But if this is a SW tank with a protien skimmer, then this may not work. But it will get rid of the heater and HOB, and all that's visible is the protien skimmer.

ad hoc sump

If you dont want to drill your tank you will definately need the siphon overflow/prefilter but if your sump is not big enough and your tank is topped of it can overflow the sump. The solution to this is a 1 way valve/shut off you incoportae into the plumbing. The ones I have seen are ping pong balls that when the water rises the ping pong balls blocks the flow.

If you go with your ides to have 2 pumps (1in/1out) both of those will create a siphon effect when the power goes out and you will have a flood.

Back
Top Bottom