Simple tank cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

65cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I simply bought 4 feet of 1/4 inch I guess you could call it chicken wire 48x24 and doubled it over to make it 48x12 cut a small indented slot for heater and filter accessories and it fits right on the inside ledge of my 55 gallon tank. Total cost $4.00. Do anyone think this will cause any problems down the line? The only drawback is that I have to lift it to feed my Cichlids. It doesn't block any of the lighting.

ForumRunner_20120625_122236.jpg

ForumRunner_20120625_122250.jpg

My guess, if it is the chicken wire I'm thinking about, it will rust, but as long as it isn't in the water, it shouldn't harm it. I was thinking about doing the same thing. Is it stapled to anything to support it, or is it just plain chicken wire? If it isn't supported, it will probably sag over time.

I built a tank lid with 2x4's and plastic poultry wire. Works great. I can put pellets through it but lift it slightly to feed them their worms. It doesn't block any light. I got the plastic wire at Lowes.

Something else that could be more of an annoyance than problem would be evaporation. With the holes in the chicken wire, it will allow for water vapor to escape more easily. Rust could be a problem. Other than that I don't think so!

rdog348 said:
My guess, if it is the chicken wire I'm thinking about, it will rust, but as long as it isn't in the water, it shouldn't harm it. I was thinking about doing the same thing. Is it stapled to anything to support it, or is it just plain chicken wire? If it isn't supported, it will probably sag over time.

It is not stapled to anything just lying on the inner lip of the aquarium and it has support by the center brace of the tank. The water does touch it a little.

Predfan27 said:
Something else that could be more of an annoyance than problem would be evaporation. With the holes in the chicken wire, it will allow for water vapor to escape more easily. Rust could be a problem. Other than that I don't think so!

Yes I understand. I will eventually get an all glass hinged lid, I just can't get one right now

Well I had a very bad evaporization problem so I went another direction on a cover for my 55 gallon tank. I went to the hardware store and got two 24x11 pieces of glass for $10. The gentleman even cut the glass for the filter accessories. I will be siliconing pieces of filter tubing for handles. Talk about DIY HUH!!

ForumRunner_20120629_125411.jpg

ForumRunner_20120629_125429.jpg

ForumRunner_20120629_125344.jpg

Cool,

I took some Aluminum L bars, cut notches in the ends so it would securely fit in the tank, and zip tied egg crate to them. Gave me a very strong lid that breaths, set my lights on, and works well when filling tubs for water testing.

I will probably replace the egg crate latter for 1/8" plex to set lights on, and leave the ends egg crate.

Back
Top Bottom