Simple way around buying a Prefilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I searched the forums a bit and couldn't find any threads on this subject.

So on my 55 I run two HOB filters. An Aqueon and an Aquaclear. Pretty much standard stuff and I'm satisfied with them.

Problem was when I introduced java moss, snails and RCS to my tank. It seems the poor guys were getting constantly sucked into intakes and I would have to rescue them from the filter boxes and tubes. Also pieces of java moss were clogging tubes also.

My solution: PANTYHOSE! lol

Yup cheap nylon pantyhose secured over the intakes by those cheap zip ties works like a charm! The water flows uninterrupted and any heavy particles are easily removed from over the intakes. And my shrimp constantly "graze" over these areas without me worrying about them getting sucked up.

In my opinion a cheap, easy solution to buying expensive sponges at the pet stores.

Hope this helps anyone!

I have used them too on my Whisper HOB. However, when I got my aquaclear it came with this bag to hold the bio material. I trimmed the end off of this bag and realized it was a perfect fit for the intake tube. I just pulled it on and put a rubber band around it. Works great.

image-2165272488.jpg

image-776087184.jpg

This is how it looks. Aqueon on the left and Aquaclear on the right. It works great for me!

I've been using the same thing forever. But I will add one thing....I use black panty hose. Looks way better.

Back
Top Bottom