Simple way to cut or file glass top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a simple way to cut or file just a section of glass top? I need to work around the U-tube of my overflow. I only need a notch of about 1/2" wide and 1" long. If not the notch, I need to take about 1/2" off of the back part of the glass. Any thoughts?

If this is a for a reef tank...I would recommend removing the glass tops all together. Otherwise for that type of precision work....I recommend contacting a glass shop.

A glass shop is about you're only option.... but I've found 99.99% of them will not guarentee they won't shatter the tank in the process of cutting 8O

A glass cutter 4.99 at a hardware store and a straight edge. Use the straight edge as a guide and zip the glass cutter down the glass with firm pressure to score it, and immediately place the butt end of the glass cutter ( looks like a ball ) under the cut and with both thumbs press down on both sides of the score. It will snap down the cut you made and then you take a piece of emory cloth ( sand paper) and buff the edges so that they wont cut you. This is the end of Glass Cutting 101

Oh yeah, Glass is very sharp and will cut you. be very carefull.

PS. You only have one try. if it does not break the first time and only a small peice comes off, you will have to try to score it again and then do it from the other end. If that doesn't work, it is ruined and you will have to buy another one.

Back
Top Bottom