Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-09-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
Skilter Question...

I ran into a guy who gave me his Skilter 400 and I heard you can add more bubbles to the skimmer part..Is there a link on how to modify these or can anyone tell me how to go about it.. I was thinking of using it on a small tank just for the heck of it. Thanks in advance..
Old 03-10-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i have had one of these since 95, it's not the best protein skimmer i have ever used.. but it's not bad for special applications. where you need a mechanical/chemical filter, but have very limited space, and these things make one hell of a racket too. during tank cleaning i got tired of the stock air restrictor falling off every 2mins or getting clogged, and replaced it with better one,like this one:

i did try playing with it's airflow, hooking up a small air pump to the air intake, then fine adjusting the incoming air, however after i got it working.. the bubble production was maybe 15-20% more, and noise it made grew too. in my opinion it's not really worth the effort, the protein output was hardly even effected. stock works fine, as i said it's not a the greatest protein skimmer, so don't expect great results from it, plus protein output is dependent on animal load so increasing the air intake a little will make only a slight change, in any.

JProx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
hey man thanks.. Just thought I'd ask..I have better skimmers in my closet..just thought I ask about its capabilities..besides its free..couldn't look a gift horse in the mouth..As for noise...I heard about that...Guess I'll just store it like i do with all the inferior stuff..lol
Old 03-10-2004, 06:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is the link for the mod. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ht=skilter+mod

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
Thank alot Just.. Kinda figured thats how it was done..but just wasn't sure.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com