Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2005, 04:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
the input at the top wouldn't be a bad idea, you could make it so that it goes in the top then down to the bottome inside. just make shure that the output is at the top or youll have problems. about pump power. unless your going with a vernuti drive pump(i wouldn't on your fist skimmer) the less gph the better. with a slower flow(not to slow though) the water is in the skimmer for longer alowing the bubles to attatch to more waist befor it goes away. i noticed that the maxijet 1200 was the biggest in the line. something alittle slower might be better. you really shouldn't need more then 100 gal per hour so the maxi jet 400 should do well. i know people are going to say the more flow the better, but its not so. skimmers are much more eficient at lower gph.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

man forma youve been a huge help. so you think i shouldnt use a venturi drive pump? is that different then a mj1200 or is that the air intake system, thats what ive always thought it was.

so ill probably go with the input at the top and then down to the bottom and the output at the top like you say

Old 02-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
i would suggest to go with an air pump on your first skimmer. its just easyier. with a venturi drive you need special attachments on your pump and they only work with high power pumps. i would go with a slower pump(easyer to work with) and an airstone with a wooden air defuser. that way you have much more control over the amount of skimate you get. make shure to get a wooden air defuser. they give out smaller bubbles. what your shooting at is super fine bubbles. lees makes a really great wooden air stone. the lfs will tell you that other air stones will work fine, but it really needs to be wood to get the fine bubles. one other thing. you should make the output come from a bit down the skimmer. this will make it so that less foam will get taken out from the out put. check out the diagram. if you see. the output will take water from below the actual water level causing it to not take out the foam thats collecting at the water level. you could also put a 90 degree angle at the bottom of the input. and on the diagram i put the output and input on oposit sides but when you make it they can be on the same side. i just drew it that way so you could see it better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_411.gif
Views:	411
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	768  
Old 07-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

wouldn't it be better to get output from closer to the bottom to make sure you don't get any bubbles?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I think the output on the bottom would have a tendency of draining all the water out of the skimmer to that level.. Is this a correct assumption?

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com