Skimmer plumbing options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone try using the overflow return line as the feed line to your Skimmer? That way you would only need one pump. It would pump from your sump like normal and from your overflow directly into your Skimmer that sits back in the first chamber of your sump. Anyone think of any drawback from doing this or why it may be considered a bad idea?

I would think the return would be too much flow for a skimmer. I suppose it depends on what the skimmer pump is rated at. But then again, the skimmer pump is designed to create bubbles to remove the organics that are in the water. Without bubbles, no skimate. Just theoretical though as I'm fw right now.

Well, my setup isn't ideal. I know I have it setup right now that needs changes. However, because of the lack of a second pump, I am using the Skimmer pump as my return pump. It is t'd off to the Skimmer as well. So basically, the pump that came with the Skimmer is powering my return as well as my Skimmer. The Skimmer has been working great but I was thinking that if I was to use to pump solely to return to the dt and the the return would then flow directly to the Skinner, it would be more optimal. It wouldn't be "too much" since all the water that's flowing to the Skinner is from the pump that's designed for it... ok, now I'm rambling. It is a 550gph pump with ∅ head.

Something doesn't sound right. What kind of skimmer is this? Usually the pump also draws the air and pushes that into the skimmer body. How are you keeping that air from being returned to the tank?
If your skimmer is a recirculating model, it would probably work, but if it's not what would create the bubbles? In other words, how would the air get inside the skimmer? A recicrulating skimmer has a pump permanently attached to the body that keeps pumping air in and recirculating the water in the skimmer.

The Skimmer I have came with the pump. Its a 550gph pump. The Skimmer itself has the air inlet for the bubbles. The water can technically come from any source just as long as its enough pressure and volume.

Back
Top Bottom