slate cave question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am putting together a large slate cave in my new 55 gal. tank.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for what type of adheisive to use? I need it to be strong and safe for the coming inhabitants.

The finished cave will be approx. 30 in long x 12 in tall x 6 in wide + or - and made from black slate.

If anyone has any other advice feel free to post too

GE Silicone I seems to be the best option available. Be sure it is Silicone I though as GE Silicone II contains an anti-mildew chemical that is bad for your tank. Also, GE Silicone II releases ammonia while it is curing. Stick with GE Silicone I and you should have no problems.

Aquamend also works it doesn't have to cure like silicon and holds better than superglue gel. My LFS has something that is actually the same thing as aquamend but it is more expensive, you can get aquamend at home depot.

Just a note, the GE Silicone I is fairly cheap, about $5-7 for a 10oz tube. You can find it at any hardware store or home improvement type store. It will probably be cheaper than buying an aquarium specific silicone at a LFS. Some of the new tubes of Silicone I even say that it is safe for aquarium use.

Back
Top Bottom