Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to tonhe
Slate rock questions

I want to build a rock wall with lots of hiding places for my cichlids in my new tank and have seen several that I like that I think are built out of slate. My question is, where in the world do people find the rocks to do this ? I've tried going to a couple construction type stores with no luck, called a few places, haven't been able to find much.

Here is what I would like to build....

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images/thumbimg/400/10036_6.jpg

Thanks !

-Tony

5 Bloody Red Parrots, 5 Tiger Barbs, 2 Malawi Cichlids, 2 Jewel Cichlid,Johanni Cichlid, Obliqudens Cichlid, Acei Cichlid, Electric Yellow Cichlid, Clown Loach, 1 Pleo
tonhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

A lot of gardening supply stores will have some. See if you have any in the local area and if they can help you out.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dyami
Check with the local stone quarries. Some brick and block companies keep stone and slate for landscaping.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

And check a pond supply / landscaping place. Slate is one of the more popular rock used to build ponds.

If you don't mind a uniform thickness, you can get slate tiles form flooring/tile place. <My local HD even have them.> Smash it with a sledge hammer & you get a pile of slate for your tank.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Benefit of living in the black hills...free slate, limestone, sandstone, granite...etc :P

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

heck yeah that tank would be awesome if u can do that lol
Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

my local fish store has always carried large amounts of slate, even the large pieces. however they charge way more than any quarry or home improvement store would. I did buy some from them, but my corys kept finding ways to get stuck under or around it,lol. inquisitive little buggers.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gardening centers are definitely the way to go for tons of cheap slate. Buy some large pieces that you can make smaller pieces out of and get some smaller ones that you already like. The larger ones are great for foundations of rock formations. I've been told to put a thinner piece of styrofoam down in the tank and then put the slate on top of that. This does two things for you. First, it helps to protect your glass but the main reason that it is done is because Africans like to dig into the substrate and can collapse the formations. This prevents them from digging down too much where the rocks would otherwise tumble. You'd hate to come home to a chipped tank or a soaked floor wouldn't you?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

my local lfs carry slate but you can also get it from nurseries, home depot, lowes, menards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I could not find slate around were i live but i did find flagstone. It cost .25 per pound and it looks like slate. My cichlids love it.

Tags
rock, slate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com