Slate rock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonhe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to build a rock wall with lots of hiding places for my cichlids in my new tank and have seen several that I like that I think are built out of slate. My question is, where in the world do people find the rocks to do this ? I've tried going to a couple construction type stores with no luck, called a few places, haven't been able to find much.

Here is what I would like to build....

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images/thumbimg/400/10036_6.jpg

10036_6.jpg

Thanks !

-Tony

A lot of gardening supply stores will have some. See if you have any in the local area and if they can help you out.

Check with the local stone quarries. Some brick and block companies keep stone and slate for landscaping.

And check a pond supply / landscaping place. Slate is one of the more popular rock used to build ponds.

If you don't mind a uniform thickness, you can get slate tiles form flooring/tile place. <My local HD even have them.> Smash it with a sledge hammer & you get a pile of slate for your tank.

heck yeah that tank would be awesome if u can do that lol

my local fish store has always carried large amounts of slate, even the large pieces. however they charge way more than any quarry or home improvement store would. I did buy some from them, but my corys kept finding ways to get stuck under or around it,lol. inquisitive little buggers.

Gardening centers are definitely the way to go for tons of cheap slate. Buy some large pieces that you can make smaller pieces out of and get some smaller ones that you already like. The larger ones are great for foundations of rock formations. I've been told to put a thinner piece of styrofoam down in the tank and then put the slate on top of that. This does two things for you. First, it helps to protect your glass but the main reason that it is done is because Africans like to dig into the substrate and can collapse the formations. This prevents them from digging down too much where the rocks would otherwise tumble. You'd hate to come home to a chipped tank or a soaked floor wouldn't you?

my local lfs carry slate but you can also get it from nurseries, home depot, lowes, menards.

I could not find slate around were i live but i did find flagstone. It cost .25 per pound and it looks like slate. My cichlids love it.

wha wha whaaaaaaat!!!!:shocked!::shocked!:
that stuff costs around 2 bucks a lb where i live.

Back
Top Bottom