Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So need some help

I want to create a tank top for my 35 gal tall tank

I've got red crabs in there as well as all kinds of tropical fish the red crabs like to try and get out.

I want to create a top for my tank that will give the red crabs a place to get out of the water with out escaping

And it's got be able to hold a little weight cuz I'm thinking sand to allow crabs to dig.

I will also be using a pvc drain or something so I do not need to remove top just to feed my fish and a slot for crabs to get in and out near the back.

So I'm looking for suggestions for supplies that could use my tank light will need to run through this some how to. Plz I'm open to any suggestion and criticism to help me tweak this idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-25-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think adding something like this to a tank and having it blend well will be a bit of a challenge. I had a similar idea but in the end was stalled once I realized I needed full access to my tank for maintenance.

What do you have for equipment on the tank already? What do you have to work around that's already setup or can't be moved? You mentioned you want it to have sand but your lights also have to reach the tank underneath? It's going to be a challenge...

Or you could look into a reptile terrarium which has the opening doors and the bottom half holds water. Then set it up how you wish?

Or split the tank you have by draining it however much and setting up the waterless part how you want?

Just some thoughts.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well I'm running a canister filter and I've got 3 airlines and will be adding a 4th and just a standard led light on top

Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I really just want it to kind of sit over top of the tank and be able to look in from the Top I'm looking to just make this a tank top that sinks part way into my water line just so my entry for the crabs is accessible. I have black lip and I keep my water line just above it

Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry water line is just above the bottom of the lip

Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456454041.702873.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	285091Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456454083.872732.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	285092

Need to run my air lines a bit neater but that's what I'm dealing with

Old 02-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindacrabby View Post
I want to create a tank top for my 35 gal tall tank

I've got red crabs in there as well as all kinds of tropical fish the red crabs like to try and get out.

I want to create a top for my tank that will give the red crabs a place to get out of the water with out escaping

And it's got be able to hold a little weight cuz I'm thinking sand to allow crabs to dig.

I will also be using a pvc drain or something so I do not need to remove top just to feed my fish and a slot for crabs to get in and out near the back.

So I'm looking for suggestions for supplies that could use my tank light will need to run through this some how to. Plz I'm open to any suggestion and criticism to help me tweak this idea.

from what your describing I'd lean towards egg crate , you can get it in the lighting section of your home improvement store .

this is what it looks like on-top of the tank I love it , and it is pretty sturdy my 4 bulb t5 fixture sits on top of it no issues , It also has a clean look to it

Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That acually could work as a simpler fix then what I was I'm describing. Mine was way more elaborate lol

Old 02-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah that's a really good idea! You could go somewhere with that for sure

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com