Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm rather discouraged that the two origional collaborators didn't end up using this on a live system.

The cap with a small hole I can definatly try, I'm going to try gluing in an air valve to the hole for adjustability.

I'm more and more wishing I'd just spent the extra for the drilled tank.

Considering that this is a planted tank, and the water chemistry looks good without the sump, I'm also half thinking of just putting in an air supply for circulation and going filterless. I read up on it on thekrib.com.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
there are some that go without circulation even.. but I would suggest having almost exactly 2 watts per gallon just a touch over could be OK.. and keep up on your mainatince.. removing dead plant material...

Old 09-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The plan is to go a touch over, 160 watts on a 75 gallon. Currently I only have 80 there.

Long term I want to go way over, keep high light requiring plants, and eventually convert the tank to a reef aquarium.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you go to medium light.. the 2.13wpg sounds good by the way.. It sounds like it would work.. but upgrading to high light CO2 injected with fertilizers.. it would be just as easy to upgrade to reef.. IMO.. just need more light and (~115-150lb) LR and a good skimmer... :P.. some reading material would be nice as well.. :P
Old 09-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've done DIY CO2 under low light conditions, and seen a positive diffrence even there.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

on a tank that big I would go DIY presurized (I did a little reaserch and put it in this link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=43055)
or use very large generators on a yeast powered one.. like two of the big garden sprayers.. :P
and yes.. CO2 will help even a low light planted tank.. whe have a section in this forum for planted tank discussion.. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=21

once you get to high light fertilizer management will make it almost as dificult as maintaining a reef tank.. according to some.. HTH
Old 09-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I might not go that far with it. I'm going to stretch the possibility of my current setup before I invest in improvements.

My most successful plant tank was rather backwards by standard rules. It was in the window, so it had full sun on it, and was slightly overstocked with fish. The only real maintenance I did was weekly water change and filter cleaning. I moved elsewhere, tried to start taking proper care of it, and the tank went downhill.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL.. we seem to be in the same boat..
I have 17 years of FW experiance and am looking into doing SW.. :P
that and my current big tank is a 75 gallon.. WOW.. how strange.. :P
Old 09-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

My first tank was somewhat accedental and hurridly put together. A "fish pond" had been put together as decoration for a conference my parents were working on. At the end of the conference the teenagers started daring each other to eat the fish, the adults didn't care since they were at a loss for what to do with all of them. I begged my mom to rescue the fish, and we took all 20 goldfish home. There was an awfully high mortiality rate, especially when Dad tried to use local rainwater for a water change. Cramming the survivors into at 10 gallong tank didn't help. I migrated to tropical soon after that. My mother still has that 10 gallon, and I've been progressing up from there.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
or use very large generators on a yeast powered one.. like two of the big garden sprayers.. :P
I have seen plans for a paralell CO2 yeast generator. One bottle at a time changed out on a set schedule gave more even CO2 generation than one or two larger. It called for a large number of check vavles though, and I have not found one that works well under these conditions.

Tags
diy, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com