Source for inexpensive timers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all.

I am planning to do a custom eletrical outlet panel for my new tank, to eliminate (or at least reduce) the multi-strip jungle.

the biggest problem is timers. I'm using the clock motor kind right now, that take up about 3 outlets on a strip. Also, the wall-warts for my PH controller and light fans also take up 2 outlets each.

So am going to use those inexpesnive plastic boxes, outlets and pvc conduit to make an "outlet panel" on a piece of plywood.

Intermatic seems to be the only company producing "in wall" type timers, that take up the same room as an outlet or light switch, but they're $35 each at home depot!

Anyone know of a low-cost web source for these timer/switch contraptions?

Why not do this.

I have seen short extension cords that are less than a foot lengh. They can be used to to get the large power bricks and timmers off the outlet strips and thus you can get more use of the outlets. I have even see some that pigtail out into two plugs.

Where did you see these short extension cords you speak of? I was thinking that that was just what I needed but didn't think they were made. I'm glad to hear they exist.

RE your first post... this sounds like EXACTLY what I did... I'll have to remember to take a pic of the boxes when I get home tonight. I got the same wall mount digital timers, wired them to a wall socket and put them in plastic junction boxes. Thing is... those digital timers came WITH 3 clock style analog timers... LOL.. I needed two of the digital timers... anyone need 5 analog timers? :roll:

I wish my x10 microcontroller was still working ... it was the sweetest gizmo, could program it to do all sorts of things.

for a while I had it lighting my tank on a circadian rythymn, so the lights would come on just after sunrise and shut off just before sunset.

but then it burned out for some reason, I think too much noise on the power lines

here's that pic of my timers, as promised. Guess it gets a little dusty behind the tank... lol

yup exactly what I had in mind!

maybe I'll watch ebay for a good deal

Back
Top Bottom