Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
If I understand what you are asking I wouldn't see an issue of two intakes. Each pipe will only flow X amount of water and if you used 2 pipes the same as you have now it would, in theory mean double the water going out.
However, the pump will only pump the water it can and then the flow slows/stops as there is no place for it to go (it backs up)..unless there is a opening somewhere below the water level at which time you'll have one heck of a mess to clean up.

I have "split" the return by adding a spray bar that went from side to side and this has been done by a lot of people so doesn't hurt things.

Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I've pretty much put on hold trying it for now. Im getting a 55 gallon setup from my brother in a few weeks so I'll play around with it when I get that tank and not have to worry about bothering the fish trying different setups to see how they work

lscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yeah yeah, I know.....
This is almost 3 yrs old but I'm running a similar set up & thought I would chime in, in case someone else reads this of cares to add.
The short answer is YES, it works fine but a couple things to consider.
The long answer 1st - I replaced my old 55g with a new 75g. The stand that came with it has a open shelf on the bottom & 2 small cabinets above, that will not accommodate a full size canister filter & my chick says I cant have a bunch of crap spread out all over. There is a closet behind the tank & would love to run everything in there but old craftsman homes are light on storage space so no go!!
I had 2 mid/small sized canisters on my 55g & felt a larger tank should surely have 2 intakes. Duh?? IMO it gives a tank more balanced filtration.
So rather than spend a ton of time trying to make my old filters fit by cutting out shelves & re-engineering a new support structure to carry the weight (not a guarantee with my work). I googled every filter dimensions I could find & came up with a EcoPlus 633 pump used externally to "PULL" two Sunsun 603 mini canisters (1st mechanical, 2nd bio) & then to a inline diy 4in PVC w/ heater & UV light in the same tube.
I found 2 Sunsun intake kits on the bay for $7 each shipped. Added a Y adapter from the hardware store, connected it to canister #1 & I was rollin.
1. - I did lose a wee bit of flow due to going from around 6ft of hose to 10ft. Plus the fact its now pulling from 2 sources.
2. - I feel like the pump is working less since i reduced the hose diameter (1/2 in) from the intake to the Y connector (3/4 in) down from there.
I would say the power of the pump is the deciding factor. My pump is doing a good job for now on my set up. May add a 3rd mini bio canister soon if I can squeeze it in there. We'll see if the pump can handle it...

Melonhed is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, filter, intake, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com