Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

splitting canister filter intake?

Has anyone split the intake on there canister filter? Just to clarify 1 canister filter and 1 intake line to the tank but then splitting it and having 2 intake strainers in opposite corners of the tank. If you have tried it how did it work? And how did you do it?

I've beenlookong at doing it but didnt want to cause filtering problems by the intakes being to big or to small and having it not have enough suction or reducing the size and straining the filter cause it to burn out quicker.

Any advice, opinions or feedback appreciated

Old 09-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now this would be interesting to know .. I will keep an eye out and see what answers you get,

Old 09-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that all depends on how big the tank is. I can't see you losing much flow under 40 gallons but a 55 and up could be a Problem and significantly hinder flow. Pretty much the issue at hand is distance from one strainer to the other.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tank I would do it on would be 140g with the 2 intakes 18" apart. Someone has to have tried it at some point. I searched for hours but only found people wanting to hook 2 canisters into 1 intake/return. I will most likely try it at some point and test it before putting it on the tank but hopefully someone has tried it and can share some input
Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is an eheim that works on that principle. I would just use PVC and some elbows to run over the edge and two 45 degree elbows to form a Y leading to the filter.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

By just using a Y and keeping the same size pipe the flow on the 2 end with the stainers would be less then if you had the single strainer. Reducing the size of pipe into the tank after the Y would help but going to small would strain the filter and burn it out quicker. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Eheim produces T Junctions. Just google it
Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Those eheim T junctions are just a basic T. I already have the same thing but got it from the hardware store for 1/4 the cost of the eheim ones And a lot of places online listed the eheim ones as discontinued. I could just put a T and 2 strainers and call it done but then your reducing the ammount of suction at the strainer end. Which is why I'm hoping someone has tried it and will know how well it did or didn't work.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok, my bad!
Good luck with the project
I just added a second canister filter the other day. Works very good of course, but it's not the cheapest solution, and does not answer your question.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

No problem. You never know wjen the one thing you thoight wasn't important to share was the one thing I needed. I also just added a 2nd canister filter. Which is what made me think about splitting the intake. My tank is drilled and has an overflow centered on the right side. One filter runs through the overflow with the return behind the overflow box. The other filers intake is in front of the overflow with a spraybar along the back wall. I thoight splitting the intake and having one on front of the overflow and one behind would be nice as long as it didnt lose flow or filtering. Im sure thats confusing so I attached a drawing with the current layout that might help. I also have 2 nano 425 powerheads 1 on the back right down low and one on the front left up high. Sorry its such a crappy drawing I just did it on my phone.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, intake, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com