sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
Has anybody put together their own sponge filter? I have a 2.5 gallon tank with an air pump and lift tube. From my research, it seems that all I really need to do it cut a hole in the middle of a foam circle and put the lift tube in the middle of the foam. Is that right or am I over-simplifying?

You need to have a way for the water to enter the tube, through the sponge. So the bottom of the tube is closed off and holes are added near the bottom to a little less than the thickness of the sponge. the idea is to try and draw the water evenly through the sponge.

I can certainly put holes in there. I can also elevate the bottom of the the tube. Thanks for the advice. I got the tank free and I am trying to fix things myself rather than spending more money. Would a chunk of clean foam from a craft store work or do I need a special sponge?

sponge filter r easy to make, PVC and some sponge, rock to hold down the sponge.

So how good are these filters? Are they worth it? Better than a hob for shrimp, I've heard, but never used one of these

Most of my tanks are filtered with ATI Hydrosponge filters. They are economical and work great. There are lots of ways to make a sponge filter, with varying results depending on how the water passes through the sponge.

For shrimp and smaller fry a sponge filter is wanted.
Other way to to a HOB as a sponge filter is by adding a sponge to the intank.

BillD said:
Most of my tanks are filtered with ATI Hydrosponge filters. They are economical and work great. There are lots of ways to make a sponge filter, with varying results depending on how the water passes through the sponge.

I have an ATI sponge filter in my tank along with my hob filter. Im using it with an air pump because all I wanted it for was bio filtration. I love it. I thought about making my own but you can get the ATI ones on amazon for real cheap and I have read everywhere they are the best ones.

I can certainly put holes in there. I can also elevate the bottom of the the tube. Thanks for the advice. I got the tank free and I am trying to fix things myself rather than spending more money. Would a chunk of clean foam from a craft store work or do I need a special sponge?

I have made my own with sponge from a craft store, when I cut the hole in the sponge I only went part way through so that the bottom was closed by the sponge itself. If you cut the sponge into squares and stack them on top of each other with the tube holding them all together through there centers they work well. They will try to float however and you will have to put something on them to hold them in place. You can hot glue them to a rock to use as a base, that will also keep them in place.

I use them in my brood tanks as they are baby fish friendly.

Just so you guys know, this thread is rather old and I have had my sponge filter set up for like 6 months now and it works our really well. My shrimp definitely love to scavenge around on it. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Just so you guys know, this thread is rather old and I have had my sponge filter set up for like 6 months now and it works our really well. My shrimp definitely love to scavenge around on it. :)

Lol that's great!

Back
Top Bottom