Sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacoeater

Aquarium Advice Activist
I made a few sponge filters for my fry tanks, I'm ready to start cycling them but was wondering if you put the air stone all the way to the bottom below the holes and sponge or just above the sponge, and the drilled holes. I seen people do them both ways, but on most of the "premium" pre made ones they have the air line attached right above the sponge. What's your method and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feel that having the air line lower in the sponge provides more "pull" so to speak as the air is traveling a longer distance through the lift tube/sponge. Just my .02

The air outlet should be as low in the filter as possible, as mentioned above. The greater the size of the water column, the more lift there will be. What is happening in an air lift is that there is an area of lower density created by the air bubbles in the water column. With the aid of gravity, the denser water outside the column moves into the area of lower density, passing through the sponge.

I don;t think it really matters which way you go as much as does the amount of air going through the stone ( unless you see air pockets in your sponges) . All the ones I make have the air start just above the top hole line ( which is just under the top of the sponge.) I do, however, use 3/4" and 1" lift tubes for more water movement through the sponge.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks all for the great info. Another question that I forgot to include is that I used new pvc that I had lying around and its 1/2" ID, will that work or should I move up to 3/4" or 1"? One problem I ran into is that I could not fit the common air stone into the 1/2" tube so I went with the slimmer air stones. Should I step up the size for a few more bucks or will it work well as it is?

Thanks all for the great info. Another question that I forgot to include is that I used new pvc that I had lying around and its 1/2" ID, will that work or should I move up to 3/4" or 1"? One problem I ran into is that I could not fit the common air stone into the 1/2" tube so I went with the slimmer air stones. Should I step up the size for a few more bucks or will it work well as it is?

I've got a few filters with 1/2" tubes and they do ok. If you could go bigger I would, no such thing as too much filtration.

Sounds good, I did make a bunch 1/4" holes on the 1/2" tube and gave it a shot like that with air stone all the way at the bottom, it's moving quite a bit of water. Pretty happy, but I'll pick up some 1" tube once I go to hardware store again.
Btw, I used a Aqua Clear 110 sponge and I cut it in 3 sections, still gives me plenty of sponge surface for the bacteria to grow on.

used a Aqua Clear 110 sponge and I cut it in 3 sections, still gives me plenty of sponge surface for the bacteria to grow on.

Do u have pictures? I'm interested in seein how you did this! Just gave me a great idea ! Basically what u did just a little different.

Sure, here you go. Got the tile from Home Depot, 3 for under a buck and had the pvc already. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424814184.140388.jpg
Would like to hear or see your idea too.

How are you attaching the pvc to the tile ?

Aquarium safe silicone. Let it cure for 24 hours or more.

Here's one I haven't used yet in pieces so you get the idea, if you silicone the pvc cap to the tile it makes it so you can remove the tube and sponge for cleaning.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424820403.321810.jpg

Very good idea. Basically my idea was your idea just a little different. Rather then splitting them up Into 3 separate . I was thinking 3 holes in 1 sponge. Wasn't thinking about having to sink it. You had a good idea there. How do u go about finding safe silicone for an aquarium

Back
Top Bottom