Sponges for sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good i made one out of a fish food container with holes drilled in the lid and a pvc pipe coming out of the middle of the lid best one i have made yet does the job well ill post a pic after.i used filter floss and filter sponge for the media and gravel inside to hold it down, sorry if im off topic haha

Looks good i made one out of a fish food container with holes drilled in the lid and a pvc pipe coming out of the middle of the lid best one i have made yet does the job well ill post a pic after.i used filter floss and filter sponge for the media and gravel inside to hold it down, sorry if im off topic haha

I would not have thought about using a fish food container. I tried using filter sponge with what I have but it just didnt seem to be working. My next build will probably incorporate filter sponge as well as a regular sponge.

the fish food container works well, i used a fine sponge and floss to give as much surface area as i could for biological filtration and it has worked well for me the sponge traps any debris that floats into the intake holes and gives places for the bacteria to grow and the pipe pushes allot of water out. i use it on my fry tank as its not got a powerful suction, i use a control valve of the airline to regulate it. :)

the fish food container works well, i used a fine sponge and floss to give as much surface area as i could for biological filtration and it has worked well for me the sponge traps any debris that floats into the intake holes and gives places for the bacteria to grow and the pipe pushes allot of water out. i use it on my fry tank as its not got a powerful suction, i use a control valve of the airline to regulate it. :)

Do you have holes along the PVC or does everything just go down through the sponge and up into the bottom opening of the PVC?

straight through the sponge and out the top of the PVC pipe i can take a picture if you want !

Was curious on what type of sponge people would recommend for a DIY sponge filter. I went to wal-mart and bought a car sponge, but am not sure if this will work or if there are certain material I should be watching out for.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Take the wodding out if a cheap pillow this is probably the best sponge you can get for crystal clear water!

straight through the sponge and out the top of the PVC pipe i can take a picture if you want !

A picture would be great! I think I understand your build but seeing it would help to visualize its working.

Take the wodding out if a cheap pillow this is probably the best sponge you can get for crystal clear water!
I never thought to do this! Seems like it would be a cheaper then other options.

I wouldn't use a pillow. Some have additives in the stuffing.

Read the label it will say which contents it has in percentage they have to put all contents on the labels in case of allergies. Simples

Okay ill upload a picture tomorrow and look on the lable for fire retardant if it has it dont use it, the pillow stuffing btw!

Back
Top Bottom