Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
matthew_raw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
Looks good i made one out of a fish food container with holes drilled in the lid and a pvc pipe coming out of the middle of the lid best one i have made yet does the job well ill post a pic after.i used filter floss and filter sponge for the media and gravel inside to hold it down, sorry if im off topic haha
__________________

__________________
matthew_raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_raw View Post
Looks good i made one out of a fish food container with holes drilled in the lid and a pvc pipe coming out of the middle of the lid best one i have made yet does the job well ill post a pic after.i used filter floss and filter sponge for the media and gravel inside to hold it down, sorry if im off topic haha
I would not have thought about using a fish food container. I tried using filter sponge with what I have but it just didnt seem to be working. My next build will probably incorporate filter sponge as well as a regular sponge.
__________________

__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
matthew_raw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
the fish food container works well, i used a fine sponge and floss to give as much surface area as i could for biological filtration and it has worked well for me the sponge traps any debris that floats into the intake holes and gives places for the bacteria to grow and the pipe pushes allot of water out. i use it on my fry tank as its not got a powerful suction, i use a control valve of the airline to regulate it.
__________________
matthew_raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_raw View Post
the fish food container works well, i used a fine sponge and floss to give as much surface area as i could for biological filtration and it has worked well for me the sponge traps any debris that floats into the intake holes and gives places for the bacteria to grow and the pipe pushes allot of water out. i use it on my fry tank as its not got a powerful suction, i use a control valve of the airline to regulate it.
Do you have holes along the PVC or does everything just go down through the sponge and up into the bottom opening of the PVC?
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
matthew_raw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
straight through the sponge and out the top of the PVC pipe i can take a picture if you want !
__________________
matthew_raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Joeysdiscus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post
Was curious on what type of sponge people would recommend for a DIY sponge filter. I went to wal-mart and bought a car sponge, but am not sure if this will work or if there are certain material I should be watching out for.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Take the wodding out if a cheap pillow this is probably the best sponge you can get for crystal clear water!
__________________
Joeysdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sparks, Nv
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_raw View Post
straight through the sponge and out the top of the PVC pipe i can take a picture if you want !
A picture would be great! I think I understand your build but seeing it would help to visualize its working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysdiscus View Post

Take the wodding out if a cheap pillow this is probably the best sponge you can get for crystal clear water!
I never thought to do this! Seems like it would be a cheaper then other options.
__________________
Pongeer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,571
I wouldn't use a pillow. Some have additives in the stuffing.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Joeysdiscus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I wouldn't use a pillow. Some have additives in the stuffing.
Read the label it will say which contents it has in percentage they have to put all contents on the labels in case of allergies. Simples
__________________
Joeysdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
matthew_raw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
Okay ill upload a picture tomorrow and look on the lable for fire retardant if it has it dont use it, the pillow stuffing btw!
__________________

__________________
matthew_raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.