Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sponges for sponge filter

Was curious on what type of sponge people would recommend for a DIY sponge filter. I went to wal-mart and bought a car sponge, but am not sure if this will work or if there are certain material I should be watching out for.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It depends on how you are going to make it. If everything is going to be contained within a bottle then I would suggest that you use the cut to size filter pads or filter floss. Otherwise I would look for natural sponges. I made some out of a synthetic sponge I bought from home depot and it ended horribly.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
It depends on how you are going to make it. If everything is going to be contained within a bottle then I would suggest that you use the cut to size filter pads or filter floss. Otherwise I would look for natural sponges. I made some out of a synthetic sponge I bought from home depot and it ended horribly.
Hmm. I don't know if the sponge I got is synthetic or not. It did say it was made with specific material so I'm gonna go with it is. I'm going to pets mart this evening for some stuff so I will see what they have. Otherwise I will go to wal-mart and get another sponge.

I have the one I bought, soaking in a cup of water to see if anything will seep out of it.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, if it's not natural sponge it will just decompose and fill your tank with bits and pieces of decomposed sponge. I would stick with normal filter media, It's safer in the long run.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yeah, if it's not natural sponge it will just decompose and fill your tank with bits and pieces of decomposed sponge. I would stick with normal filter media, It's safer in the long run.
Sounds like a disaster. Glad I didn't go ahead and use the one I bought. I will continue with the soaking to see if I can use down the road, but I will go and get something else for now. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It wasn't bad because it was in a bare bottomed fry tank. But it was a HUGE mess to clean up every time I changed the water. I switched over to cut to size filter padding and it was one of the better decisions i've made.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It wasn't bad because it was in a bare bottomed fry tank. But it was a HUGE mess to clean up every time I changed the water. I switched over to cut to size filter padding and it was one of the better decisions i've made.
How often do you have to change out the "cut to size"? Are they pretty cheap? I have a pretty low budget to use towards fish supplies. Probably exceeding my allowed amount with the trip to pet smart today, ran out of all my water treatment chemicals.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The pad was about $10 from petsmart and had enough for maybe 15 - 20 diy sponge filters. I would expect the padding to last at least 5 months. They are basically the same as filter cartridges for hob filters but comes in a big sheet.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The pad was about $10 from petsmart and had enough for maybe 15 - 20 diy sponge filters. I would expect the padding to last at least 5 months. They are basically the same as filter cartridges for hob filters but comes in a big sheet.
Went and got some of the filter pad. And some extra things for a couple of sponge filters. Thanks for the help I feel more comfortable knowing that these wont fall apart in the water.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what I created lol. It's a little bulky right now. I will be making some changes to it as time goes on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2894138938.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	189387  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com