Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Spray bar positioning

Hi im new to fish keeping, i have a 3 foot tropical tank set up with various community fish, it has sand subtrate rocks driftwood and plastic plant at the moment, im using a fluval 105 as advised by my aquatic store.
My problem is i want to fit a spray bar and have read people have them at the bottom of their tank to keep it clean on the bottom, is this possible, also i was thinking of a diy spraybar,
Any advice would be appreciated
Many thanks

Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi a spray bar is placed in the best place for your aquarium? Let me explain,if you keep fish which do not like to much flow,then you would point the outlets towards the back of the tank thus deflecting the flow. Others place it several inches below the surface and have it point upwards at a 45 degree angle,this helps with gaseous exchange and provides moderate flow. Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would recommend replacing that 105 with a 305... a 3' tank, around 30-40 gallons or so? A 105 would be for a 10-15 gallon tank.

But, spraybars are easy. 1/2" pvc with an end cap and holes every 3/4", with a few suction cups. I would put it on top instead of the bottom though... surface agitation is helpful... more helpful than having it push debris around on the bottom.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks

I have a air stone running for surface agitation i just was not sure about having the spraybar placed on the bottom of the tank
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
I have an air stone and a spray bar at the top. You can't have enough. The spraybar is meant more for surface agitation imho.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

One thing you do have to be careful of with spraybars at the top is evaporation. If you are ever gone for an extended period and nobody tops off your tank or you don't have an auto topoff, the spray bar can and will empty your tank for you.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cheers, im going to invest in a powerhead to power a spray bar along the bottom and leave the cannister filter at the top
Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

wait, so your putting it on the bottom? I'm trying to install mine, It has 2 1ft pipes, can I use them both and connect to make 1 big line of outflow from my fluval? and I have an air stone already but do we point it up towards the surface at a 45 degree angle? or should I have it just shoot across the tank ?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well people are advising against fitting it to the bottom due to surface agitation which is why im gonna leave my fluval agitating the surface with the duck bill outlet and a seperate powerhead for a spraybar along the bottom. Have tested it and the bottem is now spottless

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com