Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-29-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
Spray Bar - Using tubing?

Anyone try this out? I've a Mag 7 return from the sump and it's about 450 gph return. I've 5/8" tubing for the final tank leg today.

Don't know how to cap this. I can drill holes no problem but I'm trying to push water DOWN on the back wall of the tank to stir up water around the LR I've stacked against the wall. Right now it's on the surface only.

Going with a hard "T" at the top and some sort of tube's going horizontal (out of view basically). Drilling holes and needed.

- Any ideas how to cap a flexible tube?
- Any ideas how many holes? Figure maybe 1 every 1-2 inches.

Tank is 55 gal with 48" across the back.

Thanks in advance. Any other potential solutions are welcome!

75gal Salt, 18gal Sump, Skimmer, 60lb Live Rock, 90lb Live Sand, 3 Pwrhd, 2x55w Actinic, 2x55w 10k. Guest list: Goby Green Clown, Percula Clown and entire clean up crew.
dscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
for the cap you ought to be able find similar sized PVC caps- hopefully something small enough to just ram on.

If you could get your hands on some kind of solid plastic cylinder you could probably carve it into a wedge shape and silicone it in there. That'd probably be the best solution, but I'm not to sure where to get the plastic, haha.

Heck, if you just took a soda bottle cap and siliconed it to the end it'd probably hold. As long as you drill enough holes to keep the pressure down (which you'll want to do anyway to save your pump).

As for the # of holes, that'll just be trial and error. depends on how strong you need the current.

Hope this helps, but I have the feeling you'll have figured this out by yourself by now, probably better then what I came up with.

10 gallon 2.6 WPG, CO2 supplemented.

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
A nylon 5/8 barb x 1/2 MIP and a PVC 1/2 FPT cap. Use a little teflon tape on the threads and torque the two together. Shove the barb in the tubing and your golden.

FWIW, I used 1/2 CPVC for my vertical spray bar. Works good.
Just tipping into planted aquaria after twenty years of fish-keeping.
CGGorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com