Stand and Hood for 2.5g Pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyewiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finnaly just finished the Stand and Hood for 2.5g with 3x 20w 50/50 Coralife and Coralife Moonlght

need your feedback

Inside hood
img_506841_0_9b4421d33606d6a1768be3cc3ad8f0fe.png

Full image
img_506841_1_92edfd6621c642704dd550765b30ac00.png

Moon Light
img_506841_2_58257eb2e3826d559a7457c74d083729.png

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :mrgreen:

That's a lot of light for such a small tank, but it looks great.

What do you plan on keeping in there?

To be honest with you i donno its my first time in all this.
All i was reading was Light more Light and Light so i started up with the More Light

Very nice, but from what you say thats like 24wpg... i think a lot of people recommend around 3wpg or so for high light... Don't quote me though. Very nice though! Is this going to be a freshwater tank?

just to clarify, 5wgp is considered the highend these days, 3 is medium, and 1-2 is low, believe it or not. however you will hear people running reef tanks on 2 - 40watt shop lights [on a 55gallon tank] following the garf.org mode of operations every once in a while though.

stand and hood look rather nice, i have always wanted a cherry tank setu[p myself, but i always end going with oak for some reason... wish i could figure out why anyways, i really like what you done, but you might want to tone down the lighting just a bit though.

since you had it already built I assumed you already had information on running a nano SW tank. do you have a sump planned? You should.

You know what you should do... post in the SW getting started forum and detail your plans and start fleshing this out. a 2.5 gallon SW tank will be a fair amount of work. JMO.

hyewiz said:
Its going to be a SW tank with Corals and Invertebrates

Welcome to AA!!!

It will likely be asked of you in the SW forums wich types of coarl you are going to be intrested in keeping..
You might want to consider a DIY protien skimmer, or a small pre-fab unit, on top of the sump to your plans... I wouldnt worry about the skimmer being rated too big for your tank, those numbers are usually liberal IMO.

Nice picoreef....just the AC (I assume a 10 or 20?) for filtration....are you going to make that into a mini-refug? What inverts are you considering?

Toirtis Its AC300 with Live Sand, piece of live rock and chaeto, inside as refugium. And for the inverts did not deside yet.

greenmaji Do you think i need protien skimmer?

hyewiz said:
Toirtis Its AC300 with Live Sand, piece of live rock and chaeto, inside as refugium. And for the inverts did not deside yet.

Sweet...I thought that intake tube looked a bit thick for an AC10/20/30. I know a few chaps woth similar tanks, all ranging from 2.5g-6g.

The tank is not running yet, the reason is that I'm out of town for couple weeks, as soon as i be back i will start it up

The reason im debating upon is that i don't have enough space in the back and i don't want to make a sump under the stand, any other suggestion?
thanks

that sort of makes the decision for you then.

If you don't have room for a HOB skimmer, and no sump... I really dont think you'll want to put an "in-sump" skimmer in your tank...

My opinion on skimmers is the same as the maji, apparently. They are helpful but not required. A lightly loaded tank with regular maintenance doesn't have to have one.

if you ever need one you could go with a stand alone model.. a stand alone for that size tank would probibly need to be DIY or at least a modified pre-fab.
And I think as far as needing a skimmer goes depends on how much you want to lean on other filtration types, like your fuge and LR, and how much more maintaince, such as water changes, you want to do. JMO though

thanks a lot greenmaji for that info, i was thinking 25% water change every 2nd week, and keep only Invertables

Back
Top Bottom