Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Stand height?

I have started to build my DIY stand for my 125 gal tank. I have the top and bottom pieces done. How tall should the stand be? I have read 30'' or so but when I measured it out, it seemed really short. My tank is 21 inches tall. I have hear people saying the tank looks good at eye level but I am 6'1 so that might be a little too tall! Whats the standard?

two11devan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Standard desk/table height is 30 inches or so. I have two commercially bought tank stands. The 21 inch tall 58 gal sits 31 inches off the floor and the 19 inch tall 29 gal is 29 inches off the floor. At this height, the tanks are at perfect eye level when seated - that's how I usually view my tanks anyway.

I built my 15 gal stand so that the tank is 52 inches off the floor - it's bolted into the wall for stability.

For safety reasons, I would make your stand no more than 32 inches high. Otherwise, it might be a top heavy tipping hazard - unless you lag-bolted the stand into your wall studs.

QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I built mine at 31" high. One thing to consider is being able to reach into the tank to do maintainance without a step. If your short and have a tall tank you might think about 28 or 29 inches.

Just a thought.
R&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
just rememebr the taller the stand is, the greater chance it has of being tipsy with all the weight, so make it wide and sturdy lol
I love my clown loaches and red tail shark!!! lol
tropicfishman is offline   Reply With Quote

stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com