Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Karay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 646
Personally I would do 4 18" wide doors since your including drawers. Also should consider what your inner height will be. Make sure you have access from above your sump
__________________

__________________
Karay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karay View Post
Personally I would do 4 18" wide doors since your including drawers. Also should consider what your inner height will be. Make sure you have access from above your sump
I wanted bigger doors for better sump access. Inside height will be 31" I may make slightly smaller once I decided 100% on a skimmer to know the height. The sides will also look closed but will swing open to replace sump if ever needed, instead of the normal removal from behind the stand. In inside bottom will be lined with plexi incase of water spills (never enough protection!) with like a 1"-2" (not decided yet) lip.
__________________

__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Karay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgc1107 View Post

I wanted bigger doors for better sump access. Inside height will be 31" I may make slightly smaller once I decided 100% on a skimmer to know the height. The sides will also look closed but will swing open to replace sump if ever needed, instead of the normal removal from behind the stand. In inside bottom will be lined with plexi incase of water spills (never enough protection!) with like a 1"-2" (not decided yet) lip.
With dual 18" doors your opening would be approx 35-36 inches. Don't install a center stile but have the doors close together. Or does the sump have to be centered on the cabinet?
__________________
Karay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karay View Post

With dual 18" doors your opening would be approx 35-36 inches. Don't install a center stile but have the doors close together. Or does the sump have to be centered on the cabinet?
I was going to center it in one of the door openings. In my current on I have a support in the middle & can't get at the sump like I'd like to. That's what I get for getting an already set up tank. But I learned a lot about what I want to do in the future!
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Karay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgc1107 View Post

I was going to center it in one of the door openings. In my current on I have a support in the middle & can't get at the sump like I'd like to. That's what I get for getting an already set up tank. But I learned a lot about what I want to do in the future!
So if you go with a middle support and the stand is 72" long the middle support will be at the 36" centre. Subtract the width of the 2x4 support leg (3 1/2) and half of the centre support (1 3/4") you're left with a space of 30 1/4 approx. As a cabinet installer I see two options with the center support design. Either 2 30" wide doors or 4 15" doors (my first suggestion didn't take in account the width of the supports). 30" wide doors will be prone to sag in time.
__________________
Karay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Ok don't think I'm brave enough to go with only 1 support so think ill stick with 2! Right now the support I'm fighting with to get access to my sump is 7" so I think I'll be able to deal with 4" a lot better!

So I did a new drawing (by no means a pro lol!) and I think I calculated this right... 3 doors at 21" each and that's with a 1" overhang on each side. Am I right or missing something? Lol this may change tomorrow!! Lol

__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Oh and that's going an inch over at 73" long
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Karay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 646
Looks good. One question. Here we call press board particle board. I would suggest plywood instead if you call it the same. Particle board swells up with moisture near and then start to disintegrate.
__________________
Karay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karay View Post
Looks good. One question. Here we call press board particle board. I would suggest plywood instead if you call it the same. Particle board swells up with moisture near and then start to disintegrate.
Aahh didn't think about that! I was looking for something thin. If I use ply there (the stain will be water resistance) could I use the particle board in the bottom of the drawers seems how the ply would be separating it?
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
By the way thank you so much for your help!!
__________________

__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.