Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
On both my DIY stands I've done so far - a 125g and a 220g, I've used no middle support. Rather I went with two 2x4's at each corner of the build. I've made the two doors open from the sides and meet and the middle for the most accessibility to my sump and other items inside the stand. I used a 2x6's to build the top frame for the 125g and 2x8's for the top frame of the 220g tank.
__________________

__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Oh and +1 to using plywood. Treat it with poly to keep it waterproof as well. It'll last for ages.
__________________

__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Karay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgc1107 View Post

Aahh didn't think about that! I was looking for something thin. If I use ply there (the stain will be water resistance) could I use the particle board in the bottom of the drawers seems how the ply would be separating it?
How thin we're you thinking? I know you can get ply as thin as 1/4 which would work really well for drawer bottoms. If that's my preference for drawer bottoms. And you're welcome. I'm busy putting together a fish/breeding room but my next project will be building my own stand. It's going in the living room and my wife wants it an open concept style. Trying to figure that one out considering the tank has a canister. Lol
__________________
Karay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
On both my DIY stands I've done so far - a 125g and a 220g, I've used no middle support. Rather I went with two 2x4's at each corner of the build. I've made the two doors open from the sides and meet and the middle for the most accessibility to my sump and other items inside the stand. I used a 2x6's to build the top frame for the 125g and 2x8's for the top frame of the 220g tank.
Can you upload done pics?? Gosh I'd love to do maybe I 2x5 in the middle just to separate two doors but I'm scared!! Lol 150gl... That's a lot of friggin water lol maybe done pics will ease my mind! Lol
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karay View Post

How thin we're you thinking? I know you can get ply as thin as 1/4 which would work really well for drawer bottoms. If that's my preference for drawer bottoms. And you're welcome. I'm busy putting together a fish/breeding room but my next project will be building my own stand. It's going in the living room and my wife wants it an open concept style. Trying to figure that one out considering the tank has a canister. Lol
1/4" not bad!! Think ill go that route!!
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Karay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgc1107 View Post

Can you upload done pics?? Gosh I'd love to do maybe I 2x5 in the middle just to separate two doors but I'm scared!! Lol 150gl... That's a lot of friggin water lol maybe done pics will ease my mind! Lol
+1. I'd like to some as well. Already in the planning stages
__________________
Karay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
**** spell check got me good on that last post lol!!
__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karay View Post

+1. I'd like to some as well. Already in the planning stages
I just have my trim to finish on the doors. I'll see if i can finish tomorrow and post pics then. I may go the lazy way and just make straight cuts instead of miter cuts on them.
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 94
make sure you keep horizontal boards laying on their sides so if its a 2x4 (which is really 1.5x3.5) the 2" side should be what it would be resting on on the ground or on top of the vertical supports this is how i built mine sorry about the poor lighting in the last pic and here was the basic plans i found online
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1169964
Attached Images
    
__________________
dornblaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN by way of NH
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dornblaser1 View Post
make sure you keep horizontal boards laying on their sides so if its a 2x4 (which is really 1.5x3.5) the 2" side should be what it would be resting on on the ground or on top of the vertical supports this is how i built mine sorry about the poor lighting in the last pic and here was the basic plans i found online
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1169964
So does your tank sit down in to hide the black trim? This is the only thing left I'm trying to figure out how to do.
__________________

__________________
Sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.