Stand help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On both my DIY stands I've done so far - a 125g and a 220g, I've used no middle support. Rather I went with two 2x4's at each corner of the build. I've made the two doors open from the sides and meet and the middle for the most accessibility to my sump and other items inside the stand. I used a 2x6's to build the top frame for the 125g and 2x8's for the top frame of the 220g tank.

Oh and +1 to using plywood. Treat it with poly to keep it waterproof as well. It'll last for ages.

Aahh didn't think about that! I was looking for something thin. If I use ply there (the stain will be water resistance) could I use the particle board in the bottom of the drawers seems how the ply would be separating it?

How thin we're you thinking? I know you can get ply as thin as 1/4 which would work really well for drawer bottoms. If that's my preference for drawer bottoms. And you're welcome. I'm busy putting together a fish/breeding room but my next project will be building my own stand. It's going in the living room and my wife wants it an open concept style. Trying to figure that one out considering the tank has a canister. Lol

On both my DIY stands I've done so far - a 125g and a 220g, I've used no middle support. Rather I went with two 2x4's at each corner of the build. I've made the two doors open from the sides and meet and the middle for the most accessibility to my sump and other items inside the stand. I used a 2x6's to build the top frame for the 125g and 2x8's for the top frame of the 220g tank.

Can you upload done pics?? Gosh I'd love to do maybe I 2x5 in the middle just to separate two doors but I'm scared!! Lol 150gl... That's a lot of friggin water lol maybe done pics will ease my mind! Lol

How thin we're you thinking? I know you can get ply as thin as 1/4 which would work really well for drawer bottoms. If that's my preference for drawer bottoms. And you're welcome. I'm busy putting together a fish/breeding room but my next project will be building my own stand. It's going in the living room and my wife wants it an open concept style. Trying to figure that one out considering the tank has a canister. Lol

1/4" not bad!! Think ill go that route!!

Can you upload done pics?? Gosh I'd love to do maybe I 2x5 in the middle just to separate two doors but I'm scared!! Lol 150gl... That's a lot of friggin water lol maybe done pics will ease my mind! Lol

+1. I'd like to some as well. Already in the planning stages ;)

+1. I'd like to some as well. Already in the planning stages ;)

I just have my trim to finish on the doors. I'll see if i can finish tomorrow and post pics then. I may go the lazy way and just make straight cuts instead of miter cuts on them.

make sure you keep horizontal boards laying on their sides so if its a 2x4 (which is really 1.5x3.5) the 2" side should be what it would be resting on on the ground or on top of the vertical supports this is how i built mine sorry about the poor lighting in the last pic and here was the basic plans i found online
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

Attachments

• stand6.jpg
    stand6.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 64
  • stand7.jpg
    stand7.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 52
  • stand12.jpg
    stand12.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 51
  • stand14.jpg
    stand14.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 59
make sure you keep horizontal boards laying on their sides so if its a 2x4 (which is really 1.5x3.5) the 2" side should be what it would be resting on on the ground or on top of the vertical supports this is how i built mine sorry about the poor lighting in the last pic and here was the basic plans i found online
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

So does your tank sit down in to hide the black trim? This is the only thing left I'm trying to figure out how to do.

So I've got a bit of a hiccup as today I realized I took measurements if the tank... Glass to glass not trim to trim!!! Now I have to contact the manufacture to figure out these measurements! Lol glad I realized this now!

do you have the tank already and i do not have the trim covered my tank is black trim and stand is black so i didnt really want to cover the trim i did use insulation foam under my tank though just to make sure it was evenly dispersing the weight my 75 gal dimensions online were 48x18x21 but really they are 48.5x18.5x21 i made my stand 49"x19"x36"

No I do not have the tank yet waiting for tax check :) I have the contact info hoping they will help me!

Back
Top Bottom