Stand help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
Going to build a stand for 150gl (6ft long) Originally I thought I needed two supports in the middle but after looking here I see that multiple people have used only one support in the middle can I change my plan (below) to one middle support instead of two?

img_2294250_0_f18e6be69edf6fe16f2bd40e1a04a3eb.jpg

Actually just looking at another thread and the stand is built with all 2x4 and no 2x4 center support so your design looks strong

Personally I would do 4 18" wide doors since your including drawers. Also should consider what your inner height will be. Make sure you have access from above your sump

Personally I would do 4 18" wide doors since your including drawers. Also should consider what your inner height will be. Make sure you have access from above your sump

I wanted bigger doors for better sump access. Inside height will be 31" I may make slightly smaller once I decided 100% on a skimmer to know the height. The sides will also look closed but will swing open to replace sump if ever needed, instead of the normal removal from behind the stand. In inside bottom will be lined with plexi incase of water spills (never enough protection!) with like a 1"-2" (not decided yet) lip.

I wanted bigger doors for better sump access. Inside height will be 31" I may make slightly smaller once I decided 100% on a skimmer to know the height. The sides will also look closed but will swing open to replace sump if ever needed, instead of the normal removal from behind the stand. In inside bottom will be lined with plexi incase of water spills (never enough protection!) with like a 1"-2" (not decided yet) lip.

With dual 18" doors your opening would be approx 35-36 inches. Don't install a center stile but have the doors close together. Or does the sump have to be centered on the cabinet?

With dual 18" doors your opening would be approx 35-36 inches. Don't install a center stile but have the doors close together. Or does the sump have to be centered on the cabinet?

I was going to center it in one of the door openings. In my current on I have a support in the middle & can't get at the sump like I'd like to. That's what I get for getting an already set up tank. But I learned a lot about what I want to do in the future!

I was going to center it in one of the door openings. In my current on I have a support in the middle & can't get at the sump like I'd like to. That's what I get for getting an already set up tank. But I learned a lot about what I want to do in the future!

So if you go with a middle support and the stand is 72" long the middle support will be at the 36" centre. Subtract the width of the 2x4 support leg (3 1/2) and half of the centre support (1 3/4") you're left with a space of 30 1/4 approx. As a cabinet installer I see two options with the center support design. Either 2 30" wide doors or 4 15" doors (my first suggestion didn't take in account the width of the supports). 30" wide doors will be prone to sag in time.

Ok don't think I'm brave enough to go with only 1 support so think ill stick with 2! Right now the support I'm fighting with to get access to my sump is 7" so I think I'll be able to deal with 4" a lot better!

So I did a new drawing (by no means a pro lol!) and I think I calculated this right... 3 doors at 21" each and that's with a 1" overhang on each side. Am I right or missing something? Lol this may change tomorrow!! Lol

img_2299001_0_32ed3b73bf627383f8907b8782c473ee.jpg

Looks good. One question. Here we call press board particle board. I would suggest plywood instead if you call it the same. Particle board swells up with moisture near and then start to disintegrate.

Looks good. One question. Here we call press board particle board. I would suggest plywood instead if you call it the same. Particle board swells up with moisture near and then start to disintegrate.

Aahh didn't think about that! I was looking for something thin. If I use ply there (the stain will be water resistance) could I use the particle board in the bottom of the drawers seems how the ply would be separating it?

Back
Top Bottom