Stand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeYQM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm working on a stand, 48"x24"x46" made mostly out of 2x4 lumber. My plan was to hold a 55 gal upgrade, but that may become a 90. I'm wondering if it's going to support the 1000lbs + weight with Ecotech wave motion.

Here are a few pics.

Thanks

Attachments

• image-3689524767.jpg
    image-3689524767.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2748962497.jpg
    image-2748962497.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 123
Some of the details are a little hard to see . How are the uprights attached to the edge pieces? Screws hopefully.

How are they butted against and attached to each other? From the pics, they look like one on top of the other and I cant determine what attaching hardware you are using.

I would feel more comfortable with two 2x4's in each corner, joined by screws at a 90 degree angle with the edges screwed to them (and each other) from both sides.

That being said, I am not a cabinetmaker by any stretch of the imagination. I know I tend to lean on the cautious side. I just have bad visions of all that water, flopping fish, and a pile of broken glass on the floor.

That's my concern too, I'd rather over build at this point.

The vertical members are butted against the horizontal members and held together with Strong ties as in the pic. Everything is screwed, no nails. On the top shelf, I have 5 2x4 stringers holding the 1/2" ply and 3 on the bottom shelf.

Attachments

• image-4066256110.jpg
    image-4066256110.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 105
I'd probably error on the side of caution as well, and add a second set of studs on the outside corners or set a 2nd stud at a 90degree angle to the existing ones in each corner. Not because I'd be afraid that the 2x4 couldn't handle the weight, but because I'd be concerned about the stand trying to lean and collapsing. Chances are good with those braces it won't, but I'd rather be sure than sorry.

I'd probably error on the side of caution as well, and add a second set of studs on the outside corners or set a 2nd stud at a 90degree angle to the existing ones in each corner. Not because I'd be afraid that the 2x4 couldn't handle the weight, but because I'd be concerned about the stand trying to lean and collapsing. Chances are good with those braces it won't, but I'd rather be sure than sorry.

+1 ALWAYS better safe than sorry.

I like the idea of the metal bracing, so, well done. I would add the the second studs on the inside corner as described above. That should hold it adequately.

You could just add another 2x4 at the corners. That is the way I've built all my stands. You look fine though, screws aren't taking the weight.

So, I'd be best to add another 2x4 to each corner & make an 'L' shape

Beefed up the corners. Look better?

Attachments

• image-72983751.jpg
    image-72983751.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 99
You need some cross bracing to prevent racking. Could be dimensional lumber or plywood. I would have much preferred seeing the additional 2 x 4 on the outside of the primary leg rather than the L and attached with screws and glue. It would have made it stronge rand more rigid. Regardless it will easily take the weight.

Are you going to wrap it in plywood? I used 1/4 birch on mine and it really helped keep things together.

I was planning to leave the back open, but encase the remaining 3 sides in something like pine for aesthetics. Haven't decided what will look sleek & modern enough yet!

BillD said:
You need some cross bracing to prevent racking. Could be dimensional lumber or plywood. I would have much preferred seeing the additional 2 x 4 on the outside of the primary leg rather than the L and attached with screws and glue. It would have made it stronge rand more rigid. Regardless it will easily take the weight.

The L in the leg is screwed & bracketed together using 4 90 degree brackets on each leg.

Back
Top Bottom