Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Started as a good idea... bad ending...

I wanted to change the way 37g tank looked. I wanted to give it a Greek look but also be able to put a planter high enough to be able to plant something that would start in the tank and maybe drape over the sides. I wanted a DIY project and came up with the idea of something like the temples made from glass dishes and PVC.

To give it a look like it had been underwater for centuries, I coated the glass and PVC with silicone and covered them with crushed coral.

I bought the materials and got set up.

To be continued...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I measured out the pieces and started putting it all together...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Drilled holes in the PVS to let water in... Started covering it to make it look aged...
Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Finished covering it and let it dry for a few days to make sure it was solid (plus I had been sick a couple of days)... Put it in the tank and set it up along with my regular PWC... Was planning on getting some statues and stuff to put in and removing the stumps....
Old 10-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Lesson learned.

This morning, the water in the tank looked like milk... I had a dead albino tiger barb, a dead jade tiger barb, and a dead rubber-lipped pleco... All the other fish were at the top breathing air, including my catfish...

Did an emergency 75% water change twice and took out the new decoration. The fish started swimming normally again and so far looks pretty good... I will check water parameters later...

Lesson learned: DONT FORGET THE SIMPLE STUFF!!! I got focused on the end result and forgot to rinse out the coral before putting it into the tank. My carelessness cost me 3 of my favorite fish.

I think I will take the coral off and redo it with sand....
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Let the bashing begin....
Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No bashing! I must say it looked amazing to me. Next time... The simple things will rule the day. Glad you're feeling better.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

forgot to rinse out the coral before putting it into the tank

Are you sure the unrinsed coral is what killed your fish, I wouldn't have thought it was that dangerous. It is a natural product and I'm sure they do some rinsing before they package it. I can't see what would have killed your fish as long as the silicone was properly cured? Your idea should have worked. It looks cool!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

no bashing, stuff happens
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohoyan View Post
Are you sure the unrinsed coral is what killed your fish, I wouldn't have thought it was that dangerous. It is a natural product and I'm sure they do some rinsing before they package it. I can't see what would have killed your fish as long as the silicone was properly cured? Your idea should have worked. It looks cool!
I'm 99% positive. The silicone has a 24 hour full cure time. I let it sit for 3 full days before putting it into the tank. I didnt rinse the coral at all and the powder from the fragments leached out into the water and turned it so cloudy that I could hardly see the back of the tank. When I changed the water there was a film of the powder left on the glass that had to be removed. As soon as I changed the water the surviving fish started behaving normally.

What makes me feel foolish is that I preach so often on how everything must be cleaned before putting it into a tank, then I failed to do it myself. Even stuff that is supposedly "pre-rinsed" needs to be done to remove dust from the packaging process, shipment and storage.

I posted the thread just to show how important the small details can be and hoping someone can learn from my mistakes.

Oh, and thanks for all the compliments on the looks of the thing. I havent given up on it, I just have to rethink my strategy. I can just redo it like this (after cleaning the remaining coral) or I am considering a white/black sand mixture.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com