starting my huge build..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mehess

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What's up guys new to the forum, in the middle of selling of my 125 gallon freeing up basement space for my build. I got robbed almost 500 via pay pal from a scam on craigslist for a 475 gallon tank ( got re-imbursed) but the only good thing it did was inspire me to build a huge tank haha, most materials are purchased or ordered except for the acrylic I work in the construction field so most of my materials were basically free, but the dimensions are 108"w by 42'h by 56"d..which makes it roughly 1,099 gallons but after it's all said and done should be more like 994 gallons. The filtration system I just ordered from Natural Pet in Norristown, p.a consists of the WD 300 wet dry, 750 gallon skimmer, 220 watt stage 3 uv sterilizer, 4500 gph inline pump, the guys works with me on price a lot since it's my lfs but he's gonna do the install hard plumping and setup for around 500 ( just labor). Construction starts this saturday pics coming hopefully but if anyone has any advice or tips with problems they had while building their own tank it'd be appreciated, thanks for the read i know it's a long one.

-Mehess

I'm subscribe never had space for such a tank good luck

tomorrow marks exactly 2 weeks since the build was supposed to start. i sure hope that this is a legit big tank build, but to me it seems as though its not.... hopefully the OP proves me wrong. I was excited about the possibilities of this tank too

At least give us an update op! We are all wanting to see this project go through

He updated his first thread on the 24th of July:

Update on the big tank; haha well ran into some problems with being this trigger happy on the build so basically had to scrap the first design since I'm building it at my shop and then transporting it home via f 350 dump truck it's gotta be able to fit in the basement doorway so I went back to the drawing board and figured out new dimension it will now be 96" x 72" x 40" I'll do a quick mock up with my 1 inch plywood, hardest to find ( well at least for free from jobsites) tomorrow if I don't get off of work at 6 again but everyone keeps asking me what's going in it, it's definitely a shark tank which you probably already guessed but as to what sharks not completely sure, leaning towards smooth hound.

160g bucket of IO salt mix- $51.99
1,100g tank that needs filled
150g or so refugium= 1,250g worth of saltwater needed....
1,250/160=7.8.... 8 buckets of salt
8 x $51.99= $416

$416 just in salt...just to fill the tank once.....
that's about $45 for a 10% water change..... wow

160g bucket of IO salt mix- $51.99 1,100g tank that needs filled 150g or so refugium= 1,250g worth of saltwater needed.... 1,250/160=7.8.... 8 buckets of salt 8 x $51.99= $416 $416 just in salt...just to fill the tank once..... that's about $45 for a 10% water change..... wow

I'm thinking this may be a project that is going over his head in a quick second. A bit more realistic like a 300 or less would be better off I'm thinking...
Don't know why he's going so big right off the bat?

I mean honestly, we all get in over our heads to some degree in this hobby. Just hope the OP understands that hes going to need prob $5,000-$7,000 just to get this tank up and running. Not to mention fish and coral, food, support systems/ equipment. Etc.

I mean honestly, we all get in over our heads to some degree in this hobby. Just hope the OP understands that hes going to need prob $5,000-$7,000 just to get this tank up and running. Not to mention fish and coral, food, support systems/ equipment. Etc.
Exactly, we all dream of a tank this size one day, actually owning and being able to maintain is what brings reality to those dreams.

Back
Top Bottom