Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Storage Cabinet and Sump Stand

Well from a drawing to reality I have finished the stand that is going to hold my 30 gal sump, 10 gal refugium and my return pump. I also put a bottom shelf on and some front doors to store and hide my aquarium items.
  • Materials List
    7 10' 2X4
    3 sheets of 3/8" plywood
    1lb 2 1/2" screws
    1lb 1 1/8" screws
    4 hinges
    2 knobs
    2 magnet door catches

It measures 83" long X 24" tall X 24" deep

There are 4 cross supports for both the bottom shelf and the top. This should be able to easily support the 30 gal sump and the 10 gal refugium with plenty of room left.

Photos
To give you some frame of reference the section of plywood that is behind the stand is 4' X 6'

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:34 AM   #2

WOW! that's awesome work ...how long did it take you to complete it?

Old 07-31-2002, 09:38 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would guess about 5 hours. All the work was done by myself. I am really not sure since I had to build some saw horses before I could even start on the stand.

But I worked sunday from around 3PM till around 8PM cutting and putting it all together. THen monday for about an hour I finished up as I ran out of screws and day light on sunday.

Here is a photo of the stand now in the sump room. As you can see its a bit bigger than it needs to be...

The tank in the background is a 10 gal, then the larger tank is a 30 gal and then the circulation pump. The 80 gal is on the other side of that wall.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

FF -

Can you send a pic of it all setup as well?
Old 07-31-2002, 11:04 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Sure,

What you see in the last pic is as of last night. I am still awaiting my overflow and I need to get the sump and refugium drilled yet. Then I can start on the plumbing aspect.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i'd love to see it all set up and running. since i am planning my own, any "in process" setup pics would be helpful too

Old 07-31-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

OK, I will try to photo document each step.

Hm, maybe I will put up an article on my personal site about this.

Hm, maybe we need an article section here.

Hm, Im full of ideas...

Old 07-31-2002, 11:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

look out. ice caps are melting as we speak.

Tags
cabinet, stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com