strange idea, using power filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neoginn

Aquarium Advice Regular
While i was cleaning my tanks today i got an idea for my saltwater tank. let me run it by you... I wonder if i could take a power filter and pretty much take out the back and make it bigger. that way i could fill it with live rock or macro algae. the container i would be using to make enlarge the back of the filter is shallow only 4 inches deep but it is 1 foot square. once again its only an idea, but one that struck me as plausiable. what do you guys think?

it would take some engineering to make sure that all the 'media' had proper flow-through, but I suppose it could work (although what you are suggesting sounds a biy large)...I have done Aquaclear 300s & 500s as refugiums full of rock rubble and macroalgaes, lit by small, clip-on compact flourescent lights.

really my goal or inspiration for this idea is just to improve the water quality. and i was thinking that if i grew some plants in the filter that it would control the nitrate or nitrite problem that is common in saltwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom