stump seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addysmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi my dad is wanting to seal the inside of his cypress stump to turn it into a aquarium. i was wondering if anyone knows what he could use to seal it that would be safe for fish. thanks

Research plywood tanks. They use different sealers like pond liner that adheres to plywood. Cypress is a wood, but the key would be sanding as smooth as possible. Sounds cool! Good luck!!

An acrylic epoxy. I have a jelly fish I bought from a vendor that is completely encased in an acrylic epoxy (like glass paper weights with flowers in them). I keep it in my glow tank and it has not affected the water parameters or the fish. I've had it in the tank for over a year. I don't know much about how to use the acrylic epoxy but I am sure you could find something in a google search.

That is awesome with the jelly fish. Could you post a pic? That would be interesting to see (and maybe do myself).

Forgive me, I had told you acrylic epoxy but it is actually ACRYLIC RESIN and I did find out there are some you tube videos out there about how to use it for various things.
As for the jelly fish the vendor I bought It from said it died of natural causes. Then they freeze it with nitrogen so it is stiff and keeps its form while they encase it in the acrylic resin.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388802478.808451.jpg

That is really cool. A bit beyond my DIY skills though... Lol. Great find!

Back
Top Bottom