Sum & Tank System Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumadvice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please have a look at my system design and let me know if there going to be any problem with this. The Cyan pipe stand for overflow pipe, red pipe stand for return pipe.

Thanks,

Sump System.jpgSump Detail.jpgTank Detail 1.jpgTank Detail 2.jpg

3/4" isn't going to be big enough. Depending on the pump you use, it'll most likely require 1" pipe. The overflow should be 1.5 or 2" (or two of each depending on the pump) IMO. How much head height do you have with this design? 12' or so?

3/4" isn't going to be big enough. Depending on the pump you use, it'll most likely require 1" pipe. The overflow should be 1.5 or 2" (or two of each depending on the pump) IMO. How much head height do you have with this design? 12' or so?

I am using Dannea Mag-Drive 18. This pum can pump up to 21'. The head Height is about 14'. I want to use the ball valve to control the flow to suit 3/4" pipe overflow. Do you think this will work?

Thanks

I think 3/4 won't give you much flow to sump like said above. Not sure of the number for 3/4 but I think 1" line does 300gph. You can keep the 3/4 return line.

I would go with 1" on the return and 1 1/2" on the overflow drain. 3/4" on the return is too much pump restriction, and I think 1 1/2" would be too much liquid head pressure.

On the pump return line, knock out as many 90deg elbows as you can... these cause quite a restriction as well. One instance I can see right off the bat is flip your sump around and put the return line where it can push straight up instead of going through those two elbows. Essentially, in the basement section, change the label on your lines.... make the red the overflow and the cyan the return pump.

Back
Top Bottom