Sump and refugium design what do you think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made this super high technical drawing for your viewing pleasure.

Anyway what do you think, anything I can improve on? I would like it to stay simple. Basic principle is that tank water goes up, through the sump, overflowing to the fuge... and overflow from the fuge comes down to the main tank. In event of power outage the water flow would stop after a couple of gallons worth.

The stand would be totally DIY, I guess. I haven't really seen any like this around that I could buy.

Your thoughts would be welcome!

is this being built into a wall or some special purpose installation?

having the fuge and sump so high makes it hard to get at, and possibly top heavy (think bookshelf with too much at the top)

the other prob is, a constant water level will be maintained in the fuge and sump, by drawing off the main tank as a reserve, rather than the other way around...

one of the best things about a sump and overflow setup is your main tank keeps a constant water level, even with evap

Ah so....

Good point.

I was going to build a very heavy duty free standing cabinet to hold all of this, with a large enough fotprint that it would be sturdy and safe.

Regardless, I spose it would be better to have the sump and fuge off to the side or below. I wanted to send the water up from the tank rather than from the sump or fuge so that any food creatures from the fuge wouldn't get mangled by the powerhead.

Back to the ol drawing board LOL

well, how about sump below, fuge above?

that way your sump keeps the water level constant in both the fuge and the display tank (feed both water from the sump)

and you can have higher flow rate through your sump without worrying about distrubing the fuge

That is a really good idea.

I'm gonna sketch out some plans for doing that. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom