Sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raleighfishnerd

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so a few weeks ago I started my first saltwater tank and yesterday began building a cabinet to house the wires and sump I am beginning to build. Started snowing this morning so no wood cutting outside today. So here is what I have: 40gb about 45lbs of live rock 30lbs aragonite sand salinity 1.025 and most of the way through cycle. I want to build a sump with refugium have a 10g to use as of now is that going to be big enough. I also have a 30g not in use if that would be better. Been researching designs online all morning anyone have a good design( more of a directions over video kinda guy)

image-1490247883.jpg

image-1507405549.jpg

image-2385768656.jpg

image-2495062186.jpg

image-3088432022.jpg

You can use the10 gallon but a 30 gallon would be better. It will hold more media, skimmers ect. It will also give you an easier system to run and it will be easier to keep good water quality because there will be 40% more water. The bigger the sump, the better your options.

Should have looked at it that way to begin with the bigger the better and I can use the 10g for qt

So the 30 is going to be too big to go underneath the stand guess I will b going with the 10g

Is there any place to put other than the skimmer to put media? I would have bio balls or something in a compartment before the live rock and sand bed. Make sure to have good mechanical filtration as well. Especially on the pumps intake. Sand in the pump would not be good.

you could try this. I didn't draw the skimmer in the first picture because its for a HOB. Sorry. Theyre a bit vague because these were notes my friend jotted down when I helped him set his up. He used a 10 gal as a sump and there really isn't much space in them so I advise using hob skimmers. Good luck

Attachments

• image-1740814089.jpg
    image-1740814089.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-222737236.jpg
    image-222737236.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 141
Yeah the first one is more of what I am looking at I have the reef octopus BH-1000 so I am thinking about bringing the water down into a filter sock then into the skimmer then through some kind of media(bio balls or ?) then into the "refugium" area then to the return pump. Does that sound about right?

That sounds good.. You can use bio balls or preferably something more high end like seachem matrix. Very good quality. If you don't want to spend that much you can use bio balls or even a biobale. Both work fine.

Ok I have the seachem matrix already. Should I build a cage or something to house it?

You could buy a net to put it in... Or media bags. Or you could make a strainer so they stay in their compartment. Egg crates may have to big of holes but you could look into them. If you want to build strainers check out uarujoey on YouTube.

So I have an edge 6g with a crack in the top that I don't use looked over at it and got this crazy idea in my head that I am going to incorporate it into the system thinking couldn't I just use a lot of live rock in there and not have to worry with bio balls or the matrix Am I just crazy or would this work

image-4239487405.jpg

That would work if you do it right. I'm sure you will. Jut be careful and thorough figuring it out. You don't need to use the extra media but I would advise it.

So this What I have mocked up so far not using the hoses you see just there for reference

image-1819889527.jpg

Will prob still put bio balls or something in where the skimmer inputs to the 10g

Bubble traps = waste of space. Get an auto top off and get rid of the bubble traps. More refugium room and ur compartment for your return can be tiny because you don't have to worry about low water.

Back
Top Bottom