Sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many people have a ball valve on their pump to throttle it back if needed. I should have mentioned that as well.

You would still want the pump just over the return... if you are using an overflow style return. If you are using a drilled RR tank then it isn't as important.

Smitty said:
Many people have a ball valve on their pump to throttle it back if needed. I should have mentioned that as well.

You would still want the pump just over the return... if you are using an overflow style return. If you are using a drilled RR tank then it isn't as important.

But then again, I'd rated throttle my return/overflow than risking to damage my pump by limiting it. Some pumps are known to die if their flow is restricted.

I DIY ed my overflow. I've been told that you don't have to match pump to overflow. If your pump is rated a little less than your overflow that's ok.

If it's rated over you can throttle it down

when you refer to the "return" do you mean the return pump.. so my return pump is 1000lph will my overflow have to be the same.. also what filter media ie sponge bioballs ceramic ring do you guys recomend

craig_will2513 said:
when you refer to the "return" do you mean the return pump.. so my return pump is 1000lph will my overflow have to be the same.. also what filter media ie sponge bioballs ceramic ring do you guys recomend

For me. Yes return is the pump. I think your overflow should be rated slightly higher than your return pump. Something to factor in is what is your pumps flow rate is rated at for how far below your dt you plan on keeping it.

I have no recommendation on bio balls or other bio media.

I mean if your sump is 2 feet below your tank what's it rated at LPH at that distance? That's really the flow rate your having to work around.

no idea how do i find that out.. the pump says it has a max head height of 1.6 meters. i understand this to mean it will pump at 1000lph to this height

CPR overflows are amazing!! I have one and it is super easy to start the siphon. To stop the overflow just turn off your return pump... To start everything back up again just turn on the return pump. It never loses the siphon and always works.

hi all one more thing. in a sump as i cant get the baffles right. do you really need them cant it just be a sump without baffles ie one big tank. i mean my inlet straight into the sump with the skimmer llr and algea and sand all in one

craig_will2513 said:
hi all one more thing. in a sump as i cant get the baffles right. do you really need them cant it just be a sump without baffles ie one big tank. i mean my inlet straight into the sump with the skimmer llr and algea and sand all in one

I don't really know if I understand your question(grammar wise) but I'll give it a try: without baffles you risk your sand and filter material being sucked up by your pump. The water will also flow straight across your sump decreasing the efficiency. Lastly, you'll probably get a huge amount of micro bubbles that are bad for your pump and tank as well as causing salt creep.

heres a sump that i made the only thing i have recently changed from what the video shows is i moved the chaeto to the final stage of the sump where the return pump is to get some more copepods in there and put the skimmer in the middle also added a heater to the middle now its doing pretty good, all that said the design you have is pretty good. link : home made overflow and refugium sump - YouTube

+1 with ausfish, all in one sump, with no baffles will allow your sand to wash into your return pump, prefilter sponge or not.

what kind of problems are you having? maybe we can figure out a way to help?

heres a sump that i made the only thing i have recently changed from what the video shows is i moved the chaeto to the final stage of the sump where the return pump is to get some more copepods in there and put the skimmer in the middle also added a heater to the middle now its doing pretty good, all that said the design you have is pretty good. link : home made overflow and refugium sump - YouTube

nice vid!!!

what size pvc and how much flow are you getting?

coffeetwitch said:
nice vid!!!

what size pvc and how much flow are you getting?

just got a new return pump with a 450 gallon hourly rate so I'm assuming I'm somewhere in that are PVC is all one inch and Ty for the complements dude:)

Back
Top Bottom