Sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all iam in the process of making my own sump. its a 10g tank to add to my 35g display tank.
what iam asking is if this design is ok and will work. is 5kg of live rock rubble ok in it what type or marine plant/algea should i put in the maximise this.
also when i add the baffles how far apart should they be and how far of the bottom should they be ill add my design and any help tips or changes you think will help will be appriciated thanks in advance

Attachments

• SUMP DESIGN.jpg
    SUMP DESIGN.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 171
I would separate your LR and plants. That way you filter your water and it will allow your plants to "soak up" the nitrates.

Looks good to me! Seems like the design that most people are using for their refugiums.

so seperate rock thanks.. what about the gaps in the baffles how big should they be and how far from the bottom should they be. and my return pump is 100lph so do i have to get an overflow weir the same ie 1000lph

so seperate rock thanks.. what about the gaps in the baffles how big should they be and how far from the bottom should they be. and my return pump is 100lph so do i have to get an overflow weir the same ie 1000lph

I'll find the other link I have and send it to you.

sorry mate i cant make head nor tail of them links lol.. so ill ask again lol what about the gaps in the baffles how big should they be and how far from the bottom should they be. and my return pump is 100lph so do i have to get an overflow weir the same ie 1000lph also what plants do i use

You don't need to separate your lr and macro algae. For your sand bed make sure it is 6in deep. Also I would look at adding a algae turf scrubber.( super easy to make $10 from home depo) I would have it set up like so: filter sock, protein skimmer and phosphate reactor if you want, liverock and macro algae, algae turf scrubber draining into macro algae and live rock section, then return pump.

sorry mate i cant make head nor tail of them links lol.. so ill ask again lol what about the gaps in the baffles how big should they be and how far from the bottom should they be. and my return pump is 100lph so do i have to get an overflow weir the same ie 1000lph also what plants do i use

Ideally the baffles should be about 1/4" to 1/2" apart from each other in regards to the bubble trap. The piece of glass/acryclic that runs from the top of the sump to near the bottom of the tank should be about 1" from the bottom of the sump. Here's a good DIY video on making a sump.
Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1 - YouTube

However, note his design in that the skimmer comes after his fuge. I would put the skimmer before the fuge so that if you ever decide to grow some pods, they would survive back to the tank rather than being destroyed by the skimmer.

If you want to have a separate chamber for the skimmer I would put it before the liverock/macro section as that would give even more room for the bubbles produced by the skimmer to rise to the top before going to the return section.

A better idea is to make your intake larger and put it into there, then into the liverock/macro, then the return. Less baffles to deal with.

Your pump should be rated just about the same or just over your return (to help with keeping bubbles out). If your pump is less than your return it will only flow as much as your pump puts back into the tank (it can only drain what is available).

ha i learned off that same vid.

easy money. dont worry about getting silicone on both sides of the baffles either. as long as you get a good bead and seal on one of the sides.

going skimmer to fuge to return i would say you only need a baffle between the skimmer and fuge. save the bubble trap for after the fuge and between your return pump.

Smitty said:
Your pump should be rated just about the same or just over your return (to help with keeping bubbles out). If your pump is less than your return it will only flow as much as your pump puts back into the tank (it can only drain what is available).

If your pump is rated over the capacity of your return and more water gets topped up than can run off you would effectively flood your dt, wouldn't you? I would do it the other way around, pump capacity less than overflow capacity

Back
Top Bottom