Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Will do. =] In the meantime, do you think a 55gallon is too large for my refugium project (it will be the sump for a 120gal display)? I think I need it's combination of length and height, because the skimmer is massive, and I'd like a decent 'fuge area. And, do ya think I should add some anti-bubble baffles near my return pump to keep microbubbles out of the display? And to end my barage of questions (for now ) about how much space do I want to leave between the baffles to stop microbubbles? I want to maximize space for the 'fuge area, and I may be adding a top-off to the last compartment of the setup, I'm not sure yet. Thanks!

dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
well, in theory, you can't have "too large" a sump ... the bigger the better - just remember to take into account your total system water capacity when dosing, adding meds and such.

if you have the room for a 55 gallon under your display tank, then more power to you!

for the spacing between baffles, it really depends on your GPH - you want to have enough room for the water to flow without being restricted... I would guestimate at least 1.5"

the microbubbles are caused more by a mal-adjusted skimmer and "waterfall" effect from a low water level - keeping your skimmer running at optimal configuration and keeping your water level high should go a long ways in reducing bubbles.

the baffles really serve to 'organize' the water into a more orderly flow, smoothing out the turbulence cause by the overflow drains.

justDIY is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com