sump diy ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off let me say, I don't have first hand knowledge of fuges. I have been researching those to find out the benefits and how they work best.

Many say that the impellor on the return pump chop up the organisms that the fuge produces. That being said most people mount the fuge above the main tank and pump the water up to it while the output of the fuge is gravity driven. - Just something to think about I know you have a few tanks sitting around.

That aside:
I'm having a little problem with following the flow of you sump setup.

I know the water from the tank comes in from the left-hand side but are you using the return from the skimmer to fill the fuge and the "heater" area - or does the water overflow into these areas? (or both?)
Because if it is just the skimmer return flowing into these areas then you may have a problem with getting enough water thru to the return pump.

Also with the sump being 40" long I don't think you will need that many baffles by the return pump. That length works to your advantage so I wouldn't think that bubbles will get to the return pump. Just IMHO though.

well i am probably going to allow it to flow over the walls b/c my skimmer pump is not near fast enough to do the job, i can ditch the refugium and make is just one big open area just to add more water space. no prob on the baffles , saves $$ on acrylic. so mainly three areas i guess separated by first a 12" wall then the latter an 11" wall with the skimmer pulling out of the first area

Might want to change the one overflow by the sump to a different type of baffle. I'll include a pic of my sump to show you.

can one ask how do these things work.

im building my first tank ever and its a school project. im also a electronic student.

the diagrams are nice but not sure what each section is ment to do

looks good to me, but I'd skip the sand in the middle. The flow will kick it up and you will ruin the return pump by pumping sand thru it.

Back
Top Bottom