Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Sump Done Finally (pics)

Well after a forever of redesigns and fun play I have finished my sump/fuge. It is custom fit into a 72G bowfront stand. It measures 44.5" long, 10" wide, and 16" deep (water level will be be at 12") I have made revisions after revisions and finally got a good one I think. Opinions?

It is made from 1/4" acrylic and during the leaktesting (pic below) I actually filled it in the bathtub andraised one end all the way up to a 45 degree angle and it held the stress of waterweight like a champ. I liked the idea of feeding it from both ends with a return chamber in the middle. That way I could control the flow into the fuge better.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also note I painted the back of the fuge area to match the back of the tank for better vewing of the fuge, also note the additional support across the top of the stand for hanging my fuge light (1-55W PC)

Old 01-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
with those 1/4" support strips, i would be worried about the heat from the 55watt pc making the acrylic very plyable. if you can set some wood/metal strips over top of the acrylic strips, i think that would be fine, but not just resting on the thin strips themselves...
Old 01-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, I think you need to address the heat from the light fixture. Also, with the light fixture and Mag pump in the closed cabinet, you may need to address the venting of the heat.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The light will not rest on the stips it will be a pendant hung from the new 2x6 brace across the top. This tank will sit across a corner with a fan behind.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Looks sweet. Say whats the chamber furthest to the right? If your mag 12 is in the chamber right next to the fuge on the left I dont know what the chamber to the right would be for.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's another intake chamber. The tank has two drains, one feeds the left basically uninhibited (has ball valve but probably ran open) and the left is resticted by a ball valve to control the flow into the fuge section. I have to add one more baffle for bubble control.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

How much to make me one??

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually it was very cheap. I found a local plastic place and got the 1/4" sheet for just under $70 like $5 in weldon and bingo! I have enough left over from this peice to attempt a small urchin-like skimmer for my 46G. I also get scraps like crazy. I was in the local plastics place friday and picked up a quarter sheet of 1/2" black and a 20"X18" 1/4" gray for $17. I dunno what I'm gonno do with em yet but it'll be fun whatever I do. I love this stuff! I'll prolly try a shallow prop tank with the black for internal overflow. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the comments guys, both constructive and positive. it means a lot to get all imput from you all. Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a beaut!!!

I have been pondering on a sumpifuge for a while now, I really like your design a lot!

Did you use a table saw to cut your acrylic? Did you buy the weldon locally or online?

Tags
pics, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com