Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sump for 125g DT

I have a 55g that has been completely torn down for a reseal.
This will be used for a sump on my 125g DT.

Since the height of the 55g (19") will make it tight to work on/in when inside the DT's stand, what do you think about cutting it down? If you would, how much height would you cut down to?? 16"? 14"? Or would you leave it for the extra water volume and/or overflow space?

Thanks!

125gal FOWLR, 20L Sump w/LR and Skimmer, 20T Fuge w/DSB, Cheato, Pods and Algae Turf Scrubber
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ran into a similar problem with my sump, it would be difficult to work in because my 125g's stand was so low. To solve the problem I just put the sump in the back of the tank. There was only a wall there (not a heater or anything) so it worked out great.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Decided against cutting the 55g down. After researching glass cutting, I think I could do it no problem. However, to get the right amount of pressure with the glass cutter requires practice and I don't have extra glass to practice with. Chances of messing up at least one of the four panes that would need to be cut are too great. After all, ONE mess up and I lose that whole tank.

125gal FOWLR, 20L Sump w/LR and Skimmer, 20T Fuge w/DSB, Cheato, Pods and Algae Turf Scrubber
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, 55 gallon, sump, sump size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com