Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump/fuge

I just finish to upgrade my sump. Want to share with you guys. It is 30gal. 36x12x16. I wanted 4' sump but the way I build stand for my 125 it will not fit. So I had to squize everything. On the right side there are 2 drain lines with filter sock < i know there are mixed opinions about them but I always had them so I decided to stick with them> skimmer, then bubble trap and return section with Mag12 and heater. I made it this big so I can fit Eheim pump as the second return pump because I know that one pump is not enaugh and if i need to I can still fit there carbon reactor.. On the left side is fuge. Right now I have sand, live rock. I plan to throw there bottle of live copods for my Mandarin < big eater>, cheato, maybe Mangroves? What you guys suggest for the fuge? And let me know what you think of my sump? Did I made any mistakes?? Thanks. And one more question.Should I take that foam prefilter off or is it o.k? Will the pods still be able to enter the tank thru that foam?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0058.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	26828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0059.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	26829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0054.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	26830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0060.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	26831  

Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
mangroves don't remove enough nutrients to warrant putting them in that refugium. use a popular macro algae like chaetomorpha. it will be better for your application.
why do you think one pump is not enough?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
mangroves don't remove enough nutrients to warrant putting them in that refugium. use a popular macro algae like chaetomorpha. it will be better for your application.
why do you think one pump is not enough?
I'm not sure. Maybe you can tell me. I know You have a lot of experience Mr.X. Mag 12 pumps water thru chiller behind the wall, there is a lot elbows involved. When I masure actual flow < hold 1 gal bucket under 2 drains and mesure how fast will be full> It show around 600 g/h. For my 125 reef tank <sps, clams.LPS, zoas and others> it is not enaugh. Right? I also have 3 Koralias 4 in the tank. Water coming from 2 doubles nozzles for each overflow hardly moves surface. That is why I want to add another pump Eheim 1260. That pump will go strait to one overflow, and Mag will go to second overflow thru chiller. Is that a bad idea? Let me know guys what you think.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, here is a head loss calculator-
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

IME, 600 gallons per hour should be fine for a return after head loss for a 125.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
well, here is a head loss calculator-
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

IME, 600 gallons per hour should be fine for a return after head loss for a 125.
O.k. When I did that count I still had my old pump Gen X 40. That calculator is close to my count < around 600g/h> Now i have Mag 12 and calculator shows this pump pomps around 425g/h with my set up. . What you guys think? That is not good enaugh? Right?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, what are the gph's of the components in the sump? what pump is on the skimmer? if it's a 500 gph pump,the skimmer won't work to it's capacity with a smaller pump feeding it.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
well, what are the gph's of the components in the sump? what pump is on the skimmer? if it's a 500 gph pump,the skimmer won't work to it's capacity with a smaller pump feeding it.
My chiller is Oceanic 1/4 h.p. Recommended flow is 490-800 g/h. Skimmer I want to upgrade to Octopus. Right now i have no brand skimmer < came with my 90 gal. set up 4 years ego. I think pump <of course no brand is 320 g/h>.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, the chiller is not at the end of the head loss, is it? it's probably more towards the pump.
btw, another thought is to remove all of those elbows you are using and just use spa flex tubing. that should help quite a bit.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
well, the chiller is not at the end of the head loss, is it? it's probably more towards the pump.
btw, another thought is to remove all of those elbows you are using and just use spa flex tubing. that should help quite a bit.
Chiller is like in the middle of the hole way to the tank. And my previous question; do I need to take of that foam prefilter from my Mag12 so pods go from fuge to main tank or they can still make thru? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know you all so busy and maybe my topic is not that intresting but please let me know if I need to take that sponge pre-filter off from my Mag 12 so pods can go thru from fuge to display tank? Or maybe it is o.k to leave it on. Thanks!!!

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com