Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sump\Fuge for my 55, questions...

Start off here is the initial design...

Idea is to have water from the tank to be routed 1/3 to the fuge, and 2/3 stright to the sump. Initial plan was to have a overflowbox like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewI...dproduct=CR1517

I have posted over at reef central and given ideas...

Can I drill the bottom of a temperd tank? If not, can I drill the back pane? Do I drill myself with a dremel, or take the tank somewhere? If I drill the 55, do I use 1 or 2 overflows? IF I drill, how do I go about making the overflow chamber for the tank?

I have been told, lose the BioBalls and sponges for more live rock and ruble. Ok, what kind of ruble?

The fuge portion of this design will be displayed, I have a stand that is divided in thirds, withthe center section (home of the fuge) with out doors. It should look pretty cool if I build it nice. The Fuge and sump are connected via a bulkhead in the fuge tank that will allow the water to just spill out into the sump.

Also, If I order the glass precut at a shop, how hard is it to build the sump myself?

I thank that is a good start...I am new to salt, this will be my first tank. I think it will be FOWLR.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Verbalkint Send a message via Yahoo to Verbalkint
Well, NO.. You prolly can not drill ANY panel on a tempered tank.

If JUST the bottom if tempered, you MAY be able to drill a side, but unless you know for 100% sure that the sides are not tempered as well, i'd not go anywhere NEAR the tank with a drill.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #3

The tank is an 55 gallon All Glass Aquarium from Petsmart. Their website indicates that hte bottom is tempered, no metion of the sides. http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html

Would drilling a side be benefitial, or does it only work when you drill the tops
Old 07-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I have been told, lose the BioBalls and sponges for more live rock and ruble. Ok, what kind of ruble?
Just some smaller pieces of LR

Quote:
The tank is an 55 gallon All Glass Aquarium from Petsmart. Their website indicates that hte bottom is tempered, no metion of the sides.
Count on the sides being tempered as well, thats the rule I use when i look at things.

Quote:
Also, If I order the glass precut at a shop, how hard is it to build the sump myself?
Not hard, just be paitent, I am actually making one now.
Quote:
The Fuge and sump are connected via a bulkhead in the fuge tank that will allow the water to just spill out into the sump.
One thing that I have been told in regards to the fuge area, is that you want the water to move fairly slow, in relation to the overflow dump area, and your return pump.

Personally...

I'd skip the drilling all together... when it comes down to it, your tank is roughly 12 inches deep....

once you drill, even if its the back to have any sort of overflow chamber, you will loose @ 5-7 inches due to the overflow compartment.

If you were going to drill, i would look into getting a tank specially ordered with some bulk heads put in there, possibly 2 for the overflow and another a few inches down that you can hook a ball valve to for your waterchanges, would probably do wonders.

HTH
Old 07-05-2005, 10:02 PM   #5

Would this wourk... putting a spillway, if you will, for the out flow of the fuge could maintain a water level of 11.5 inches or so. Would that be worth the effort? I am trying to build a fuge that will have slow movement, get the benefit of the DSB and possibly keep some sea horses or other such delicate animals in it.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com