Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Sump Help

Hey all,

I had an acrylic sump made for me about a year or so ago and have been pulling my hair out with it ever since.

Problem #1: On the left side there is a 2" wide section where the water dumps in from the corner overflow above, there is a devider wall that seperates the dump area and the fuge. In the middle of said wall is an about 1/2" opening to allow transfer of the water from the dump area into the fuge.

I have tried about 100 different configurations to the 1" PVC gravity drain from the tank, no matter what I do there's billions of bubbles and saltwater spray/mist goes EVERYWHERE.. There's got to be something that can be done here?

Problem #2: The fuge has almost no flow, I finally just added a 180 GPH PH with a spinning nozzle to circulate water in the fuge, I assume the reason for lack of flow/circlulation is the water entering the fuge from the middle instead of the top? There may not be anything else I can do about this, but I thought I'd bring it up incase someone had an idea?

I would love to draw up a nice picture/design of it like I see many people post here, but I don't have the software to do it, I'm not sure what everyone else is using?

Thanks for the help,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Can you post a photo of the sump/fuge?

Try doing a google search for 'free drawing software'.

Or draw it on paper an scan it if you have access to a scanner.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Google Sketch is an awesome free program you could use.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Here's a Picture of the left side, where the water dumps and enters into the fuge:

Here's a picture of the whole fuge/sump:

Currently, the graviety drain from the tank overflow comes down to the bottom of the chamber, makes a U then comes up with a "T" fitting installed 1/2 in the water and 1/2 out of the water.

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com