Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-18-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
SUMP Idea, need approval

I dont exactly feel like spending $50-100 for an overflow box so I was thinking the other day and came up with this idea. I have a CA 1400 pump/powerhead. I bought it for my protein skimmer but then realized what else I could do with it. If I buy two pumps, I can have one to bring water up to the tank from the sump, and one to pump water out of the tank and into the sump, now in my mind this should work out evenly if I use the same kind of pumps. But I am not sure if any other factors will interfere such as gravity, water pressure, etc. This would save me up to $50 by not buying an overflow box and seems full proof to me.

I just thought I should get "approval" from you guys out here. I want to make sure there won't be any problems before I go ahead.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
What if one of the pumps fails? Then you'll end up with water on the floor or a dry sump. You could make an overflow box from some acrylic and pvc or plastic. Here's a site with lots of DIY stuff. http://ozreef.org/diy/

10g - 3 Feeders, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Bluegill?
40 Breeder - Eastern Painted
50g Rubbermaid - Mississippi Map
I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
ARGHHHH!!!!!! Why, oh WHY did you have to tell me that!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO really though why?

JK....(I hope so), thanks for the advice, really appreciate it, although I was on a role with the idea but it should be better this way....

- $imple
Old 09-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
THe ods you will find two pumps that pump exactly the same rate are low. Therefor you will end up with a pump that pumps out more water than your return brings in or a return that pumps more than your drain pumps out.

If you dont want to spend the $ on a good overflow then you could try your hand at building one. Honestly I wouldnt skimp on the overflow. This is one thing that you will quickly regret going cheep on when you have to clean up after a flooding event.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
Thanks for the advice. I guess I am going to have to get an overflow box. Oh well, money well spent is money saved.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Assuming you have two "identical" pumps, just the fact that they are pumping with two different head pressures will make them unbalanced.
~ Czar Casimir ~
Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
Even after getting an overflow box and sump, i told my girlfriend we should have got a tank with a built-in overflow. So we need a new tank, and if you getting a new one, might as well be bigger too(hehehehe).
55g Reef
100 lbs. LR
70 lbs. LS
48" Aqualight Pro
Gen X Mak4 Closed Loop
LPS, SPS, whatever else.....
40g Tru-Vu
40 lbs Tonga
40 lbs Sand
T-5 Retro-2x39
SEIO 620
Frags, Fish, Mantis, Whatever
Crawling68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two exact pumps will never be equal. Vacuum vs. pressure are two different animals. You can take two pumps of equal output and they will never work in conjunction with each other due the properties that vacuum has a much higher potential of volume than pressure does.

These properties are true in both pneumatics (air), and liquids. For some reason vacuum has a much greater potential for volume than the pressure (output). There is a formula for it, but least I can't sipher it.

Here I go again, diving in head first!
Scottcenfla is offline   Reply With Quote

sump, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com